Double IPA Pliny The Bastid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can someone help me with the hop schedule?

specifically the dry hopping..

the Columbus shows to be in the boil (1oz) for 30 minutes..
then it says in the note that it's 1.25 oz each of columus centenial & simcoe..
just to clear things up for me, could someone post a hop schedule for the dry hopping?

I have this for the boil:
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00% Mash Hoping
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.40% 90 min.
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00% 90 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00% 45 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00% 30 min.

and this for the dry hop.. but it doesnt add up..

2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50% 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00% 0 min.

any help would be very much appreciated!!

All in the kettle:
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 40.1 MH
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.40 146.4 90 min.
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 20.4 90 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 37.8 45 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 33.9 30 min.
2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 0.0 0 min.

And then dry hop with:
3 dry hop additions for approximately 2 weeks each, of 1.25 ounces EACH of columbus, centennial and simcoe.

So that is 1.25oz of each of these in addition to the 0 min kettle additions.

I am a big fan of mixing 1.25oz of each columbus, centennial and simcoe. Then take 1.25oz of that mix and dry hop for 10-14 days and then take those out and repeat twice.

ah crap.. so i need to order 3.75oz of columbus, centennial & simcoe then lol...

1st round
1.25oz columbus
1.25oz centennial
1.25oz simcoe
remove after 5-7 days

second round
same

third round
same

remove all

?? am i right?

ah crap.. so i need to order 3.75oz of columbus, centennial & simcoe then lol...

1st round
1.25oz columbus
1.25oz centennial
1.25oz simcoe
remove after 5-7 days

second round
same

third round
same

remove all

?? am i right?

Almost:
1st round
1.25oz/3 of Simcoe
1.25oz/3 of Columbus
1.25/3 Centennial
For a total of 1.25oz in the beer.
Then after 10-14 days take them out.

2nd and 3rd round:
repeat

You just need a total of 1.25 oz each for the dry hopping.

that's what i needed..

i was confused thinking i needed 1.25oz of EACH of them.. totaling 3.75oz for EACH of the dry hop additions.. :tank:

so.. reading the thread,... the extra 7 days per dryhop addition is more for aging the beer than anything to do with hops.. as it's noted that 5-7 days is enough for any dryhopping..

I'm brewing this this weekend.. so.. :) wish me luck.. will have to watch carefully the hop schedule as this will be my most complicated beer yet.. but should do just fine..

I'm using pellets & going to use a nylon bag for dryhopping..

Anyone ever tried replacing Columbus with Zeus for this recipe? I never brewed with Zeus, but I'm having trouble finding whole/plugs of Columbus.

Anyone ever tried replacing Columbus with Zeus for this recipe? I never brewed with Zeus, but I'm having trouble finding whole/plugs of Columbus.

It is rumored (or reported as fact by some) that Zeus is the same as Columbus just grown at different farms. In any case, they are very similar, I would not hesitate to use them.

2 weeks primary,, now in secondary.. just to confirm.. when do i start the dry-hopping cycles? now? or wait another bit before starting?

2 weeks primary,, now in secondary.. just to confirm.. when do i start the dry-hopping cycles? now? or wait another bit before starting?

I'd say if you're in the secondary, anytime will do.

You just want to avoid dry hopping while there is active CO2 production, as the CO2 will carry off some of the aroma.

Sorry if this question got asked/answered earlier in the thread... I didn't want to sift through that many pages.

If you're adding dry hops three different times, how are you removing them (I assume we're putting them in muslin bags)? Will 1.25 oz of soggy hops even fit coming out of a carboy?? I have enough trouble getting 1 oz out of carboys that are empty!

I guess just use the old Tongs and Brute Force method? Or tie a string to the bag and leave it coming out of the top?

Can't wait to try this recipe...

I have started to dry hop in the ale pales for the reason you stated that it is difficult to get the hops out of the carboy.

I have started to dry hop in the ale pales for the reason you stated that it is difficult to get the hops out of the carboy.

I assume you mean to transfer to secondary in an ale pale right? What risk is there in doing this? I would like to try this as well for the same reason.

I have read in Yooper's DFH 60 Min clone thread that she sometimes just throws the dry hops in the primary bucket after fermentation is complete. That sounds like something I want to try, but not for this Pliny clone because of the three dry hop additions.

I am doing this as a parti-gyle and can't do the Mash Hopping as written.

Any suggestions re: where to put that 1.5 oz of Chinook addition instead... maybe FWH?

If you guys are interested, maybe I can put together a Pliny hops pack. Let me know what you think and some feed back on the recipe your using.

I'd be interested. I'm not going to attempt this for another month or so, but I would be very interested in getting some info.

I also put my dry hops in the bucket after fermentation, works great. I'm going to offer these Pliny Packs for $15, does anyone mind dryhopping with pellets, I usually do it but I don't know others preferences.

Haven't tried yet. I've heard that leaf hops are the better way to dry hop, but I've heard of many others who use pellets. So I'm sure it's OK.

I don't mind doing it.

If I have a 10 gallon cooler mashtun, do you guys think mashing at 154, with 2 batch sparges at 168 would be ok? That is what beersmith is giving me..

Re: Dry-hopping this Pliny clone:

Ya in the talk he did he said 5-7 days and when adding the new addition to take out the previous addition.

Why only dry-hopping 2 oz at a time? I've made this recipe twice now and have always plunked in all of the dry hops at once (pellet, no bag) and left them for 12-14 days. At the end they've all sunk to the bottom and I rack off.

Does it do something different if you leave only 2 oz in at once?

My results so far have been phenominal. I loved both batches.

Kal

Okay, so I brewed this recipe one month ago to the day. Overall, the whole thing felt like a disaster. It was over 100 degrees here in DC. I mashed at WAYYYY too high a temp. Small boil over. Took over 4 hours to cool down to 90 degrees (in a basement, but with lukewarm water). The wort chiller was leaking water into the wort (about half a gallon total). Yeast packet didn't inflate.

Now, keeping that all in mind, I didn't hit my OG. Not even close. My OG was 1.048. I am sure some of this had to do with the above screwups, especially the addition of water. However, can half a gallon of water make a ~.025 gravity difference? I would assume not. However, I am a brewing noob. Any suggestions? Is it because of the mash being too hot? Addition of water?

The reason I ask is because A) I don't want to screw it up again and B) calculating OG using a book I have, even not screwing it up, the amount of grains do not put the OG at 1.071.

Any help? Thanks.

i just ordered the hops pack from Framhouse Brewing. As soon as I have enough empties, I will be doing my 2nd Pliny AG. The first, from AHS, was awesome.

I gotta brew this one soon! I'm subscribing just for a future reminder. I already have half of the hops on hand, so that might motivate me to move it up in the rotation!

why did they skip any flavor additions on this? no additions between 30 and 0

about to brew this one this weekend! can't wait! Hopefully I hit my targets and we have a smooth brew day. Ordered the Pliny kit from Farmhouse and it was here in less than two days! :mug: now just to get my grains together and map out my brew day. :rockin: :tank:

Question. I put all this recipe into beersmith and converted it to PM, and the hop quantity was lowered for each hop. I corrected it and now its saying its 160 IBUS now. Why is this?

Question. I'm making this beer soon and have a dry-hopping question. Since I can't fit all these hops in a bag in the neck of a carboy, can I secondary and dry-hop in the keg? Or could I secondary/age for a few weeks in a carboy, crash cool, then dry-hop in a keg. What would be better?

hoppheadIPA said:
Question. I'm making this beer soon and have a dry-hopping question. Since I can't fit all these hops in a bag in the neck of a carboy, can I secondary and dry-hop in the keg? Or could I secondary/age for a few weeks in a carboy, crash cool, then dry-hop in a keg. What would be better?

I recently did this with a DIPA w/ 7oz of dry hops. Crash cool for 3 or 4 days, gets the yeast/trub cake nice and compact. Transfer to keg and throw your dry hops in there in a hop bag. They'll fit no problem and you'll basically have zero sediment from crash cooling!

I purged my keg and then sealed it with 30psi and left in a corner of my keg room at ambient temp. I check the relief every few days to confirm it still has pressure, man what a sweet smell!! Will probably put it in the fridge after 10 days.

I asked this in the general recipe/ingredients forum, but may be better suited here, anyone want to post their Beersmith file of this recipe?

So I brewed this a week ago, and everything went well. Hit the mash temps perfectly, and nailed the OG. I just checked it last night and it's sitting at 1.009! Oops. Hungry little yeasties.

It tastes spectacular though, I can't wait until it's done! I'm going to leave it in the carboy for 2 more weeks to clarify, then transfer to the keg and begin dryhopping. I guess it will be another 2 months before this is ready; man I'm not sure I have enough patience!

I wouldn't call it so much a triple IPA as I would and Imperial Imperial IPA. It really has a lot of malt and body, but isn't hopped to the extreme like a double or triple IPA can be. I seem to recall it having a measly 75 or 80 IBU bittering with the rest aromatic. It is actually the reason that I made up my Pliny the Middle Child, high alcohol, high aromatic and medium to low bittering (comparatively).

Its a triple ipa and its soo yummy. went about 4 times during the release. 10.7% ABV got me feeling good!

Brewed this on 5/6. It has been in the bottle 3 weeks and tastes great! Only had the real thing once, seven months ago. This batch seems close to what I remember. It was a real monster to get in and out of the fermenters (a lot of hops). FG was real low at 1.004. Maybe caused by the corn sugar addition? Mashed at 150 F, will go higher next time.

Back