Pliny Clone Kit from Northern Brewer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered the extract kit btw...I'm ready for some double ipa!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was lucky enough to try Pliny the Elder side by side with a sample of my clone recipe (all grain) at Cantillon's Quintessence yesterday. Vinnie Cilurzo even tried it! It isn't finished yet (it's only on its first dry hop) but he said, "I don't mean to look surprised, but this is actually quite nice." We discussed my beer and he said the second dry hopping should increase the character and once the yeast has dropped, it will taste a lot cleaner. I'll consider that a win in my book!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home

I brewed this when I was home a few weeks ago. Fermentation was perfect. I don't have my notes on my right now, but I just remember being really happy with the results. I racked it to a secondary and it's waiting till I get back. I drank the test tube and it was delicious. I've never had a real pliney, but the sample tasted almost exactly like Rampant. Must say, not disappointed.

I remember reading somewhere that Vinnie uses hop extract in Pliny as well.

He does. They use hop extract in the younger and blind pig if I'm not mistaken. There's a few Sunday session podcasts on the BN with Vinnie on there and he has some great advice and knowledge. He's definitely an ipa master.

Just threw in the last dry hop addition today. It smells unbelievable! Only 5 days until the keg is tapped and the beer will be flowing like wine!

Just brewed this two days ago, and pitched Conan yeast for it... It smells awesome fermenting. I also tried the hopshot out of curiosity (and against the advice on this thread). It's very bitter. I can't decide if I'm going to bottle this or keg it.

Just tried my first bottle, awesome flavor! It came out great. A good amount of up front bitterness and a great hop flavor and aroma. I haven't tried the real Pliney for comparison, so I can't gauge the accuracy, but this is really good!

I brewed the all-grain kit about a month ago, did my first hop additions last weekend, will do the second hop addition Monday & will keg next weekend along with a few in bottles. Hit my numbers on brew day, smells & taste wonderful. Looking forward to the finished product. Btw,I have never had a Pliney so I have nothing to compare this to. I hope to one day try the real thing!

I noticed the directions call for a 6 gallon batch, so is it possible to use a 6.5 gallon bucket as primary and 6 gallon carboy for secondary? I'm worried about not having enough head space with bucket.
What have you guys used?
Thanks.

I used the 6 gal bubbler. I have the first hop addition when I get home. Then 10 days after that I keg. The hydro sample was delicious. I fermented down to 1.010. Anyone else get that low. I hit 152 on the money, then the last 15 minutes it came down to 151. Im pretty hyped about it. Congrats to all the people who had a successful batch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

If I remember, mine finished around 1.015 FG. Tasty as can be. Fermented in a 6.5 gallon carboy and learned all about a blow off tube in a hurry. I will be brewing again and probably soon. Btw, this was the extract version.

I mashed at 150, went from 1.072 to 1.006. Added the second set of dry hops today, going in bottles on Saturday. Very excited, smells and tastes awesome!

I started at 1.070 & finished at 1.010. Last hop additions went in today, will cold crash & hope to keg in about a week. Taste & smells wonderful, also very excited.

I brewed this beer yesterday. Was trying to figure out all last night how I missed my gravity by such a large #.

My OG was 1.082. Now I realize this should have been a 6-gallon instead of a 5-gallon batch.

I'm assuming at this point it is probably best to just let it ride out, take a bit higher ABV and likely a bit less balanced beer, than to try to add top-off water?

I've made two runs of the pliney kit, both kegs were emptied in record time. The last batch I had a friend who is an avid homebrewer say that it was a top 5 homebrew he had ever tasted. I'm quite a fan of it also. I'm still amazed how that much hops can result in a citrusy nirvana without an overly bitter flavor.

If you can, give it about a month to condition before serving, that seems to be the sweet spot.

Cheers.

Back