Plinian: floating sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwerski

Reaction score
I bottled my Plinian Legacy batch last week. The beer is clearing nicely and the first samples are very good. I was very careful to keep hops sediment out of the bottles, using paint strainer bags and taking my time. However, every bottle has debris at the surface that, when gently shaken, breaks loose and travels to the bottom in about 10-15 seconds. The taste seems so far unaffected (after two tastes). It appears to be yeast but I have not had yeast float in bottles in any previous batches. I have dumped the bottle sediment out and examined it. It's just a curious occurrence and wondered if it's been experienced by any of the rest of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm just guessing, but it could be residual fermentation going on. Since I usually place the recently racked bottles in a cooler and close the lid for bottle conditioning, I haven't observed this.
You're probably just fine.

Back