Please pick apart my Indian Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbyice1

Reaction score
10# marris otter
.4 # chocolate 200l
.75# crystal 60
.5# crystal 80
1.5# wheat
1.5# victory

1oz cascade 60
1oz cascade 20
1oz cascade 5
-I really like simple classic hops

thinking either pacman yeast or 1056 (what do you think)

OG 1.074
IBU 42
23.5SRM

*I have no idea why I thought throwing some wheat in there would be a good idea, it very well may not be usefull for anything in there..

I like a decent amoutn of wheat in any hop forward beer I make. I think the grian bill looks good. That being said, I wouldn;t consider this an Indian Brown ale with only 3oz of hops....

I like a decent amoutn of wheat in any hop forward beer I make. I think the grian bill looks good. That being said, I wouldn;t consider this an Indian Brown ale with only 3oz of hops....
good point... I left it under 50 IBU because dogfishead indian brown is only 50 I believe and it has a lot of hop character I think.. you think upping late additions while keeping IBU under 50 would be cool?

good point... I left it under 50 IBU because dogfishead indian brown is only 50 I believe and it has a lot of hop character I think.. you think upping late additions while keeping IBU under 50 would be cool?

Yes.
Also note that IBU is, in my opinion, effectively made nearly meaningless by modern IPA-making procedures like hopstands and dry hopping. Both of these techniques can contribute considerably to the perceived bitterness of a beer, even though they do not technically introduce any of the iso-alpha acids which are technically the only thing considered in IBU calculation.

how do you feel about a single hop being used in the recipe? (cascade)

how do you feel about a single hop being used in the recipe? (cascade)

If you really like cascade, it won't hurt. centennial is also quite popular and would complement it. I personally like amarillo/CTZ together for IPAs also. You could split it up post-fermentation and do some different dry-hops to see what combinations you like too.

an oz of Cascade pellet dry hop did an excellent job of balancing out a batch of Centennial Blond which I personally perceived to be too bland at first (though it got rave reviews from others).

Latest posts

Back