Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illini88

Reaction score
Started an easy (or so I thought) stout three days ago. I've pitched yeast twice and it won't take off.

Any ideas what I've done wrong? I keep it in the closet at about 70 degrees.

I'm at a loss.

Are you 100% sure it hasn't taken off? No sign of krauzen come and gone, maybe? Have you taken any hydrometer readings, or are you going by lack of bubbles alone?

Yes. I did go by lack of bubbles. I have made it before and was sure it bubbled like hell.

The yeast was what was included in the kit. The second yeast was what I was given at the brewery store. Just active, dry yeast.

Sorry for being an idiot, but what is kraeusen?
Have not taken a second hydrometer reading. First was 1.44, right where it was supposed to be.

Thanks for quick replies.

Kraeusen is the foam that forms on top of the wort during fermentation. In rare cases it can foam up and die back fairly quickly, but normally the kraeusen is around for days or more. In really odd cases there may not be much of an observable kraeusen (I've at least noticed that with yeast starters).

Since you have an OG reading I would take another reading and see if it's still at 1044, or if it has indeed fermented down.

It's now about 1.012. I'm assuming this means it worked. It tasted like beer when I licked the hydrometer clean! LOL

illini88 said:
It's now about 1.012. I'm assuming this means it worked. It tasted like beer when I licked the hydrometer clean! LOL
Yeah, at 1.012 it's pretty much done. If you're using a secondary you could rack it now...if not I'd still leave it another ten days or so.

If you look in your bucket, there will be a ring of scum just above the wort. This scum is the remains of the krausen...sometimes when things happen real fast and your bucket isn't sealed well this will be the only evidence you'll have that fermentation already happened.

Latest posts

Back