Please help me with my yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paranoid Android

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a smack pack of Wyeast Belgian Wit in the mail and the activator pack was already broken. The package was not swollen. I shook it up nice and good and heard the little yeasties making bubbling sounds through the package. I left it out at 70-75 degrees for about 6 hours and the package did not swell at as far as I can tell. The yeasties were not making any sounds after 6 hours either, except maybe for an odd snap, crackle, pop. I put the package back in the refrigerator until perhaps someone can tell me what I can do. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Sorry to hear about your problem.

You should boil 1/2 C of malt in 2 cups of water. Let it cool to room temp add it to a large beer bottle, add your yeast (room temp) and an airlock.

Let it sit for about 12 hours and see if you get any activity, bubbles on the top, gurgling in the airlock, yeast on the bottom of the bottle.

I have over a case of clear glass .5 liter flippy bottles that I use for yeast. Being able to see the yeast activity is a bonus over brown glass.

If you don't get any activity then your yeast is probably a loss. Don't toss it though. Buy another one and add the mixture. No need to waste anything that expensive.

Good luck.

get in touch with the seller/shiper and tell them what happened, and you'll never buy another product from their webstore. i bet they'll ship you another one :)

homebrewer99 is right on about making yourself another starter. but still give the shipper/seller a hassle ;)

I sent the store I bought it from an email already. They are a really great company and this has never happened to me before. The other package of yeast that was in the box still has the smack pack unbroken. I had bought a Scottish Ale and a Belgian Wit kit from them and they forgot to send the Belgian Wit yeast. So then they sent me the Belgian and also another Irish Ale pack. I guess they just haven't been well organized lately. Oh well!

Back