PLEASE help-Kegerator Foam issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryankeg14

Reaction score
I recently acquired a new to me kegerator. It is a Danby, the Model is DKC146SLDB. I cannot seem to get the kegerator to pour a proper draft. The best pour I have gotten is about 3/4 liquid. I replaced the old line with a 3/16 10ft new one. I also replaced the gasket on the coupler. I have tried changing the temp from everywhere between 38-41degrees. I have also changed the pressure all the way from 4 PSI to 15 PSI. The kegerator does not cool the tower (cheap design). I placed ice packs in the tower , all the way to faucet to ensure the tower was cooler. The lines are not frozen and there is no visible foam in the lines. I have wasted probably a half of a keg and half a tank of Co2 trying to figure it out. I am in need of help PLEASE!!

First off, do you know how to properly pour a beer from tap? The reason I ask is because a friend came over and complained about the beer being too foamy from my keg. He kept coming up from the basement with beers that were about half foam or more. Finally I went down with him and watched him pour. He only held the tap about halfway open. Then when it would start foaming, he'd close it even further to slow down the flow, but this made it worse. He never poured a beer from tap before, and simply didn't know any better. A beer on tap should be poured with the tap handle pulled all the way open.

Assuming this isn't the issue, could your keg be overcarbed? What temperature and pressure was your beer carbed at, and for how long?

Have you taken apart your tap to make sure there isn't something in there obstructing the flow, causing the foaming?

First off, do you know how to properly pour a beer from tap? The reason I ask is because a friend came over and complained about the beer being too foamy from my keg. He kept coming up from the basement with beers that were about half foam or more. Finally I went down with him and watched him pour. He only held the tap about halfway open. Then when it would start foaming, he'd close it even further to slow down the flow, but this made it worse. He never poured a beer from tap before, and simply didn't know any better. A beer on tap should be poured with the tap handle pulled all the way open.

Assuming this isn't the issue, could your keg be overcarbed? What temperature and pressure was your beer carbed at, and for how long?

Have you taken apart your tap to make sure there isn't something in there obstructing the flow, causing the foaming?
^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^^

Yes, I have two other kegerators, I am pretty good with my pours (1/2 in of head on average. Right now the best pours I am getting are at 41 degrees and 10 PSI. The keg is the full size one, busch light. I anticipated foam problems, so I bought the cheapest beer possible for first usage. I am getting between 5/8 and 3/4 full beer now , but still 1.5-2 inch head even after settling for thirty seconds.

Heres a typical pour.

image.jpeg

Yeah I personally do set and forget force carbing so my kegs are set between 10-12 psi and have my lines at 3.5 ft of 3/16" tubing. Keg temperature is at 40F (4.4 C). This way I can have all my lines balanced without the need of a secondary regulator.

Problem solved guys. Due to the multiple configurations I had set up with different PSI and Temp, I thought the thermometer might be bad. I removed the thermometer from the side paneling on inside of kegerator, took it out and placed it in back of kegerator in a cup of water. Now that I am getting a true temp, I get great pours everytime.

Back