Please help identify this hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BR_

Reaction score
Coworker has had hops for a few years but isn't sure what they are. Can anyone identify them? Looking at them tip to tail they appear square.

thanks!

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

Identifying hops is almost impossible. First, even on the same plant the leaves and cones vary, and they all have variations. If they are feral hops, you can guess, as in our area most feral hops on old farmsteads are cluster hops. If they were planted as an ornamental, those usually are just ornamental hops and not used in brewing.

But if it's a hop plant someone planted and doesn't remember what kind it is, it is not an easy task to try to identify it.

I'd say they're not Cluster, which tend to be round like Fuggles or Centennial.

The shape is pretty similar to my Cascade or even Chinook, which tend to be four-sided, elongated and tapered.
And the leaves look similar to either strain, though perhaps more consistently with the Chinook.

Still, could be a lot of strains...

Cheers!

Thanks for the comments thus far. So, what's the definitive way to know ... some sort of lab analysis?? Not that I'd go that far.

He bought the rhizomes from Bell's and planted on purpose a few years back. My next stop is to see them.

Got a University Extension nearby? Call them and ask if there's someone who can ID wild vegetation. I bet they do. It doesn't even need to be nearby - I bet you can mail stuff to them.

The only sure fire way is through DNA testing. I know because I just asked a chemist specializing in Hops analysts. I have a plant in my back yard I asume is cluster but was curious.

If he got it from Bell's, I'd say there's a very good chance it's Centennial. But call the Extension to make sure.

Back