Please Help Bad Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip321

Reaction score
I created a yeast starter with Wyeast 3724.

I brewed a Saison and tried pressure fermenting at 90F = 32C with a spunding valve set at 10psi; big mistake.

Wyeast recommend fermenting at this temperature.

It started out OK but then went for a week and 2 days of no fermentation and developed a horrible taste.

Then I learned Wyeast 3724 does not like Pressure.

So I transferred the 2 corny kegs to 2 fermentation buckets i.e. no pressure

Kept the temperature at 90F = 32C controlled with a STC1000 but it was still dead after quite a few days.

In one bucket I pitched Safale s-04 and in the other I pitched WLP005 at 66F =18C

One bucket got to an FG of 1.006 and the other got to 1.012

I cold crashed both buckets and added gelatin.

I kegged them separately and added Co2

Both the Corny kegs have an Astringency taste i.e. wet tea bag come horrible taste but they have not been infected.

Both Corny kegs have not cleared.

Does anybody know what I can do.

I created a yeast starter with Wyeast 3724.

I brewed a Saison and tried pressure fermenting at 90F = 32C with a spunding valve set at 10psi; big mistake.

Wyeast recommend fermenting at this temperature.

It started out OK but then went for a week and 2 days of no fermentation and developed a horrible taste.

Then I learned Wyeast 3724 does not like Pressure.

So I transferred the 2 corny kegs to 2 fermentation buckets i.e. no pressure

Kept the temperature at 90F = 32C controlled with a STC1000 but it was still dead after quite a few days.

In one bucket I pitched Safale s-04 and in the other I pitched WLP005 at 66F =18C

One bucket got to an FG of 1.006 and the other got to 1.012

I cold crashed both buckets and added gelatin.

I kegged them separately and added Co2

Both the Corny kegs have an Astringency taste i.e. wet tea bag come horrible taste but they have not been infected.

Both Corny kegs have not cleared.

Does anybody know what I can do.
Have you considered a complementary fruit flavoring? Try a glass with a small squirt of cherry or grenadine syrup and see if that helps cut the astringency.

Not sure I can tell from what your description what is going on.

One comment I'd make is fermentation temp way higher than I would ever run, supposed to work with those farmhouse yeasts, but even they never did work well for me, taste wise.

Have not used the WPL yeast, but have made many a good brew with 0-4, mid 60's F fermentation temp.

Not wanting to be bearer of bad news, but sounds like you probably oxidized your brew with transfer keg to brew buckets. My guess is there is not much you could do to salvage this batch. Suggest you look into closed transfers and advice at limiting post fermentation oxidation. Plenty of info on that here at HBT.

Don't feel too bad about it though, it is how we all learn.

Thank you for the replies.
Wyeast themselves say ferment at 90F = 32C
I have heard of some brewers going to a maximum of 85F = 29C
This Wyeast 3724 is a pain.
I'll have to throw both corny kegs away.
I'll try again but this time in fermentation buckets (No pressure fermenting) at 80F = 26c and if it stalls ramp it up slowly to 85F = 29C

Back