Please explain the safe use of sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karn

Reaction score
Someone elsewhere on the forum said they'd measure the s.g. of the beer and then discard the beer, which prompted my question.
Why do you discard the beer? I 'rinse' my hydrometer and cylinder with No-rinse cleanser (sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate), measure the s.g. of the beer and put the beer back into the fermentor. Is this OK?

Someone elsewhere on the forum said they'd measure the s.g. of the beer and then discard the beer, which prompted my question.
Why do you discard the beer? I 'rinse' my hydrometer and cylinder with No-rinse cleanser (sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate), measure the s.g. of the beer and put the beer back into the fermentor. Is this OK?

from a reply elsewhere on the forum:
It [putting the beer back] works until it doesn't - putting the beer back in the fermenter does allow for the possibility of contamination. Putting the beer back in the fermenter is also likely to add oxygen to the beer.

If you want to avoid the possible effects of contamination or the likely effects of oxygen ingress, don't put the sample back in the fermenter.

Also, you shouldn't discard the beer you measured, you should drink it! Or at least give it a taste to see how it's coming along.

Latest posts

Back