Please critique this workflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonmo

Reaction score
Please critique this workflow.

I’m interested in figuring out the best method for beer storage, transfer, dry hopping and clarifying in order to reduce exposure to oxygen, properly dry hop beer in a keg, and get my beer clear.

I’m not looking for feedback on timing or carbonating methods.

2.5 gallon batch fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy for primary. After attenuation has been met, cold crash for 48 hours to get as much yeast as possible out of suspension. Transfer to keg (and save yeast for next batch). Dry hop in the keg with a fine mesh keg hopper (pellets or leaf) at room temperature (keg on 20-30psi). After dry hop period, cold crash for another 48 hours to further clarify and drop any hop particulate out of suspension. Remove mesh keg hopper. Carbonate to appropriate volume. Wait appropriate time for flavors to mature. Serve.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts/suggestions/opinions.

:)

I'd say spend another 7 days in the primary. After FG is reached (which usually is in about one week) dry hop, then coldcrash. To me it seems like you're doing one step to much. Clear the beer in the primary while also dryhopping, then transfer clear beer to keg. The yeast also gets one more week to clean up its mess without having to cope with the temperature changes which are induced by coldcrashing twice.

Thanks Smellyglove. If I dry hop in primary, will that adversely affect the yeast cake if I want to save it for another batch? I've never done that before.

I also dry hop in primary. The only other thing I would add is to consider using gelatin when you keg. If your process is good otherwise, gelatin with give you clearer beer quicker.

Thanks Scottanooga. When you dry hop in primary, do you ever save the yeast? Also, I just bought some gelatin - can you describe your process of using it when you keg? Thanks!

Thanks Smellyglove. If I dry hop in primary, will that adversely affect the yeast cake if I want to save it for another batch? I've never done that before.

I don't bottom-harvest so I cant tell.

But like mentioned in a post over, use gelatine. Gelatine works best in cool wort, so you want to crash it for maybe 36-48 hrs, pitch some gelatine and 48 hours after that you rack. Clear beer.

Thanks Scottanooga. When you dry hop in primary, do you ever save the yeast? Also, I just bought some gelatin - can you describe your process of using it when you keg? Thanks!

You don't want to clear in your keg, thats at least my opinion. I want to clear my beer before I transfer it to kegs or bottles. Fix it as soon as possible in the chain.

Back