Please critique my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for an APA/IPA for summer drinking. This is my first DIY recipe. I have only used kits in the past.

I am looking for a slightly sweet, moderately malty brew with moderately high bittering and big hop aroma.

5.5 gal batch

9 lb Pale Ale malt
1 lb Crystal 60
1 LB Honey Malt

0.25 oz Palisade 60 min
0.25 oz Citra 60 min

1 oz Palisade 20 min
1 oz Citra 20 min

1 oz Palisade 5 min
1 oz Citra 5 min

1.25 oz Palisade whirlpool
1.25 oz Citra whirlpool

0.5 oz Palisade dry hop 5 days
0.5 oz Citra dry hop 5 days

US-05 rehydrated

Mash at 152F for 60 min, fly sparge
Ferment in my basement at 62F

I will be keeping the Palisade and Citra hops, but everything else is open for suggestions.

Hop look good.
I have not used honey malt myself,but think that one lb of it on top of one lb of crystal will be a bit too much. I would be tempted to go with only the crystal 60.

1 lb honey malt + 1lb crystal will give you more than slightly sweet. I would cut each in a half and add to the base in order to keep the gravity up. Sounds good though!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i'd cut the crystal & honey malt in half. if you want extra maltiness you can add in some vienna and/or munich instead

Your BU/GU ratio is 1.25, that is very high. I do not think you are going to be able to get any maltiness or sweetness out of that.

since there's no OG or IBUs listed, where are you getting a bu/gu from without the AA of the hops being used or info of OP's efficiency? in any case, 1.25 is definitely not very high, esp when almost all the bitterness is coming late in the boil.

What's the projected OG and IBU level for your beer?

The hops look ok, if you have an OG of about 1.050ish and IBUs of 40ish. It's not enough grain for an IPA, but could make a nice APA.

It's WAY too much honey malt for may taste, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth and if you want something pretty sweet, I"d suggest .25-.5 pound of honey malt.

I'll second the comments about the crystal and honey malt. Here's a pic of an IPA I did last summer with 11 lbs pale malt and 1 lb Crystal 60. Pretty darn dark.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399490932.592934.jpg

I tried it again with 10 lbs pale and 2 lbs Vienna, and it is a gorgeous light amber color. And nice and malty too!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I put a little wheat and Munich in mine and just a touch of crystal40.. Sounds more like you want something like a west coast blaster or evil twin... Lemme see if I can find a link

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't think at all of Vienna malt. I want to keep some honey malt in there for the honey flavor with the Citra hops, I think those will pair well together.

Maybe I could cut the Honey malt to 1/2 Lb, Crystal 60 to 1/2 lb, and add 1 Lb Vienna malt and boost the Pale Ale malt to 10 lb.

Ya I think as you mentioned, cut the specialty grains back a tad, add some Vienna or Munich and you should be good to go. I made and overly sweet IPA once and just hated it. My stomach hurts to even think of that beer. Now that I said that, if you REALLY want some sweetness maybe back e'm down to 12 oz and go for it, I mean only you know what YOU like.

Back