Plate Chiller Wort Recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharrel1

Reaction score
Hello all I recently purchased a plate chiller and march pump. I am planning on using it for the first time tomorrow. I have done a test run to check for leaks etc.. I am using my old immersion chiller for a pre chiller because of the mid 90 degree weather (75 degree ground water). With warm temps going straight to the fermenter probably is not going to be an option even with the pre chilled water. I am cool with the process of recirculation to get the temperature down to where need be.

The thing I need clarification on is when recirculating how do I not disturb the hop/trub cone I achieved from doing a whirlpool at flameout? I really don't want to clog my immersion chiller during the process. I plan on using a hop spider to contain the hops so hopefully I won't be fighting with much leftover hop sludge.

Any guidance or tips would be welcome!

Cheers!
Clint

If you're using a hop spider with a mesh suitable for the type of hops, there won't be anything floating in the wort that would actually clog a plate chiller...

Cheers!

If you're using a hop spider with a mesh suitable for the type of hops, there won't be anything floating in the wort that would actually clog a plate chiller...

Cheers!
Thanks Man! This is my first all grain as well. Just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before tomorrow.:mug:

Latest posts

Back