Plate Chiller Recirc Pump - Flow Rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
This question has been asked before, but I can't find that it's ever been sufficiently answered. I have a Shirron plate chiller. I just ran it for the first time last night with just boiling water (I was curing my new BK) and using groundwater from my washing machine supply at no lower than 70F or so. Just gravity-feeding the "wort" at around 0.5gpm I was able to cool the water from boiling to 70F no problem.

The cooling water was running through the chiller at probably 6gpm max, throttling it down to about 4gpm didn't make a whole lot of difference in the cooling, maybe a degree or two. But I probably used over 100 gallons of water in the 21 minutes it took to drain the kettle. So I decided to get a pump and recirculate a set volume of cooling water.

Here's the question: I found a 500gph (8.3-ish gpm) submersible pump that I'd like, or for about the same price I could just get a 200gph (3.3-ish gpm) pump at Harbor Freight. 500 advantage: Nearly the same price, great output, Rule brand, but it has to be shipped. 200 advantage: It's in the store across town and costs $10. (I could also get a 360gph Rule pump - maybe a happy medium? I'm just trying to decide if there's a sweet spot or if higher or lower flow is just flat better.)

Which is better? Will the higher flow rate help me or hurt me?

This is a Bilge pump, right?
This one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O8B7VO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

1. Does it come with a plug? I am under the impression that it doesn't that you have to wire it.

2. This discharge outlet is: 3/4"

How does one hook that up to a tube ending in a garden hose fitting?
What adapter do you use?

3. Can it be submerged? Or only the lower part?

Instead of the Harbor Freight pump, what about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M6MTMI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Shipping will be free, so it costs about the same. This has a slightly higher output, plus it can pump higher, 7 ft vs 4.3. In practical terms, pumping 2-3 feet may stress the Harbor freight pump more, cutting its throughput in half, while this is reduced 20%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I realized the bilge pumps are DC and would be a pain to wire. The Harbor Freight 264 gph pump is $15, but it's weak (I picked one up and I'll be returning it). Even at no head and level with the chiller it's more like 1.5 gpm.

Also, free shipping only kicks in at $25 on Amazon. Don't fall into the trap they set making you find something to buy just to get to that point. :)

So, for now, I'm back at square one trying to figure out how to get this chiller set up. I'm learning just how much recirculating water heats it up, too, so I'll need to do the math to find a volume of water and ice that will get me to the right place. Honestly, even running the hose through at 6gpm for 15 minutes isn't too bad considering I only brew 1-2 times a month anyway.

>>Also, free shipping only kicks in at $25 on Amazon. Don't fall into the trap they set making you find something to buy just to get to that point.

No trap, I just put stuff I want in the Amazon cart or wish list till I get to 25 and then order.
Replacement heads for my electric shaver are always a stand by.

>>The Harbor Freight 264 gph pump is $15, but it's weak (I picked one up and I'll be returning it). Even at no head and level with the chiller it's more like 1.5 gpm.

Check out this pump instead:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M6MTMI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It looks like its got a bit more oomph, and even 2 feet below the chiller intake , its still says 250 GPH, around 4GPM

Last edited by a moderator:
ArcLight said:
>>Also, free shipping only kicks in at $25 on Amazon. Don't fall into the trap they set making you find something to buy just to get to that point.

No trap, I just put stuff I want in the Amazon cart or wish list till I get to 25 and then order.
Replacement heads for my electric shaver are always a stand by.

It's a trap for me, I'm not patient enough to put things aside for later purchase. ;)

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it. Now, if you'll excuse me, it seems I have flooded my laundry room in the course of this project.

So yeah, I guess I really need to sit down and do some homework. I could even get the PP400 for $25.99 (and free shipping!) and not feel too bad. I guess I really need to make sure I understand how much flow is too much, how much is too little, and where I should land. I'm having some questions about the pressure through the chiller.

I bought a book on Amazon once and was surprised when the confirmation email came and the total was over $4000. About a month before, I had added a big laser printer to my cart in order to see the price (they do that sometimes for some reason). I had forgotten to remove the dang thing from the cart.

You have about 4 hours to change an order once it's placed before it ships. I removed the printer from the order and all was well. Whew!

Latest posts

Back