Plate Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVilleBrewing

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process(very long) of building a single tier, 3 vessel, 3 pump setup, hard piped in stainless, using Tri-clamps. I plan on using a Duda Diesal b3-36a 20 plate chiller(one of the only with a tri clamp option). I do have a couple of questions.

1) I have read hundreds of posts about plate chillers in general.....seems many circulate boiling wort for about 10 minutes to sanitize. This would seem to introduce true and hops to the chiller. My plan is to whirlpool after the boil (have BrewersHardware boil kettle with the tangential inlet) before sending it to the chiller. As far as sanitation, am thinking a dunk in star San before brewing session.......is this sufficient?

2) anyone with this model chiller, or any chiller in general.....can you bring the temp down to temp in a single pass, or do you need to recirculate back to the kettle and run it through again?

Trying to decide on plumbing and valve arrangement at this stage!
Thanks in advance for any help!

I've got the duda B3-23A 20 plate chiller. I sanitize it by pumping star San through it with a pond pump for a few minutes. Never had a problem with sanitation doing that. As for chilling, I gravity feed mine and always chill with 1 pass. I can get the wort down to just about my ground water temp by adjusting the flow of the wort. In the winter I can just about open the valve on my kettle all the way since the water is so cold. In the summer, I have to close the valve 1/2 to 3/4 shut.

If you're in the market for a duda chiller, I may be selling mine ;). I recently purchased a Jaded immersion chiller.

I do the boiling wort sanitation prior to brewing, it is part of the prebrew-setup.
I also am looking at getting rid of my plate chiller in favor for an IC.

I have the B3-12A-20, and can get to pitch temps in a single pass as well

T

Thanks for the feedback. Actually going with the b3-36a 20 plate for 2 reasons. It is one of only 2 that Duda offers with a tri clamp option, and also need the extra efficient since I am on well water, and the output is only 3 gallons per minute

I have the 36-40 from duda and can chill 16 gallons of wort with one pass in less than 5 minutes. I clean with pbw and then circulate with star san

Back