Plate chiller flow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuellingBrew

Reaction score
I am getting ready to mount my plate chiller and was wondering which is better and why. To push wort through or to pull the wort through using a pump?

I have my pump between the kettle and the plate chiller. First tubing leg from the kettle/mash tun goes to the pump, then it goes wherever it needs to from there. I had no issue with this model when recirculating the boiling wort to sanitize the chiller. It also allowed me to continue to use the ball valve on the chiller to regulate the flow from it. This allows me to get the temperature from the plate chiller exactly where I want it to be.

If you swap hoses during your brew day it would be a simple thing to test with water to see if it matters flow wise and pumping efficiency. Otherwise it doesn't matter that much. I've done it both ways and I normally do it as Golddiggie states. If your pump struggles with hot fluids then having it after the chiller will work better, just make sure it gets sanitized.

Back