Plate Chiller Configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgy101

Reaction score
For those using plate chillers, where and how do you have them mounted in your system? I'm assuming you would use wingnuts or something similar for easy removal. Is the goal to have the chiller as low as possible then pump it to the fermentor?

Also, do you have your pump before or after the chiller? What are the advantages of either location?

I do not currently have a brew stand; I'm using leg extensions on the Blichmann burner and gravity feeding a carboy. I'd like to take the next step and incorporate a plate chiller and pump, so any suggestions are welcome! I'll probably try to create some type of stand for the chiller and pump to make life easier.

Thanks for any information!

After speaking with Tyler at Rebel Brewer, his suggestion seemed to make the most sense. Put the pump before the chiller so that the hot wort would sanitize the pump and it would not matter where the chiller was installed.

I think I'll create something similar, but nowhere near as elegant, as Chimone (https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34730&cat=all&ppuser=3394). Since I have no welding skills, I'll probably build a small 3/8" plywood box, open at both ends. If others have suggestions, please chime in. I'm sure these were noob questions, but...I'm a noob. :D

i was just thinking that if the pump is placed after the chiller, perhaps the self-priming (low-temp) pump can be used. the pump would need to be pre-sanitized separately, but that's fine with me. Anyone have experience with that setup?

I certainly plan to clean and sanitize the pump and chiller, but it's always good to have free help! :) Since I decided to go with the March pump, the temps weren't a problem.

Good question on low-temp options. I don't think it would necessarily need to be self priming depending upon where you placed the pump.

Pump before or after does not matter in terms of sanitizing since you should recirculate the wort for a few minutes as a final sanitizing step before applying chilling water. I've done pump both before and after and it worked about the same on my set up.

Back