Plastic Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being a poor college student I have found ways to get equipment cheaply. I use a plastic secondary, its a Glacier Falls water bottle. I got one of the new ones from my LHBS which the guy claims is better than an old one because it is made of some new plastic instead of the old ones. I believe him, and it was cheap so I'm not complaing, my beer has tasted great so far so I see no reason to switch to Glass quite yet. However, I am fermenting what I call a Strict WeissBier to drink late this spring and into the summer and I want to have something to drink before then. I found another Glacier Falls water cooler bottle that would work perfectly for a secondary but it is a lot older. Do you think it is worth using this or should I go buy a new one from the HBS. I will most likely brew an IPA or a Porter to put in this this particular carboy.

I can't say to whether the old plastic one will be any good or not. But a glass secondary should only run maybe $18-$22. I just picked one up 2 weeks ago from my LHBS for $21.

Back