Plastic dip tubes (gas in)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Framnk

Reaction score
I bought a four keg system recently from the local homebrew store and paid a bit extra to get the ball lock variety. When I disassembled the kegs I found that two of them have plastic 'gas in' dip tubes, while the other two have stainless steel.

I noticed the other day that one of the plastic 'gas in' tubes seems to have broken near the top. I noticed from fiddling with the parts that the stainless steels ones are not interchangeable with the plastic ones, the plastic seem to be slightly smaller diameter.

I've been hunting around but I can't seem to find replacement parts for the plastic dip tubes, any advice?

A friend of mine that I brew with bought some kegs and they had plastic gas in dip tubes. I think Challengers are the kegs that have these. What you need to do is drill out the hole on the dip tube side and replace with SS. I forget what size drill bit you need since I didn't actually do it myself. If you call Keg Connection they can give you advice on what size drill bit and replacement parts. That's what my friend did. Hope this helps.

I bought a four keg system recently from the local homebrew store and paid a bit extra to get the ball lock variety. When I disassembled the kegs I found that two of them have plastic 'gas in' dip tubes, while the other two have stainless steel.

I noticed the other day that one of the plastic 'gas in' tubes seems to have broken near the top. I noticed from fiddling with the parts that the stainless steels ones are not interchangeable with the plastic ones, the plastic seem to be slightly smaller diameter.

I've been hunting around but I can't seem to find replacement parts for the plastic dip tubes, any advice?

AHS sells them

A friend of mine that I brew with bought some kegs and they had plastic gas in dip tubes. I think Challengers are the kegs that have these. What you need to do is drill out the hole on the dip tube side and replace with SS. I forget what size drill bit you need since I didn't actually do it myself. If you call Keg Connection they can give you advice on what size drill bit and replacement parts. That's what my friend did. Hope this helps.

Drill 'em out. People do it all the time. A quick search should yield the specs.

While that is an option, there is nothing wrong with the plastic gas-in tubes, and since replacements are only $2.75, there is no reason to go drilling your keg unless you are really anal about having a SS gas dip tube.

While that is an option, there is nothing wrong with the plastic gas-in tubes, and since replacements are only $2.75, there is no reason to go drilling your keg unless you are really anal about having a SS gas dip tube.

Good point, I didn't know that the plastic tubes were still available.

It is nice to have all interchangeable parts on your kegs, though. That's what tempted me to drill out mine. I've got some mixed pedigrees in my ranks...

bigbeergeek said:
It is nice to have all interchangeable parts on your kegs, though. That's what tempted me to drill out mine. I've got some mixed pedigrees in my ranks...

Still, you would need to buy all new posts and poppets to have all parts interchangeable.

Passivate a small brass compression fitting tube that is the exact fit. I think they are 50 cents or so. No drilling. Readily available at the depot.

Back