Plastic Boiling Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexacuna

Reaction score
Anyone used a plastic bucket that store LME from the HBS? I've got one today and i'm either gonna use it as a primary or modify it to boil water for 10g batches. It hold 15 gallons or so.

I have a 1500 watt heat stick, but a few thrifted boiling kettles that i can remove the elements from and install in the sides.

I wouldn't do that unless you know that the bucket is safe at boiling temperatures. Pretty sure certain chemicals leach out of plastics at high temps

Totally works and works great!!!! I've made one from a YouTube video, I made one last March as a kettle. Used it for a batch or two. And it still serves as a hot liquor tank of sorts for me. This of it was a big kettle. It does get a bit soft at 212F. However I saw the need to upgrade to stainless right away.

Totally works and works great!!!! I've made one from a YouTube video, I made one last March as a kettle. Used it for a batch or two. And it still serves as a hot liquor tank of sorts for me. This of it was a big kettle. It does get a bit soft at 212F. However I saw the need to upgrade to stainless right away.

Just about setup the installation of the elements. It cost about $12 for all supplies, since the drum was free. Using two 1500w heating elements. I'll do a leak test and a boiling of tap water this weekend to see how it goes.

45 minutes to get cool tap water boiling with one of the elements installed on 3.5 gallons. Will re-seal and install a second element tomorrow. Planning on adding a spigot to another side. It might be limited to 6.5 gallon batches (or maybe even 5) with the 3000w setup, which is fine.

Back