planting hops in fall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepersquatch

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to growing hops. I live in wisconsin, My question is, is it crazy to plant hops now to go through winter and start growing in spring? Just wondering if anyone has tried this with sucess. Thanks

My very first experience with hops was finding some along the roadside about this time of year. I followed a vine back to the ground and ripped up a chunk of rhizome which was buried in a cornfield across the street from where I lived. Over the course of the winter I bought a house and moved, but came back in the spring to dig it up. What I found was that there were a ton of roots that had formed and it transplanted very well to it's new location. So I'd guess I'd say 'yes' to your question as I've since moved crowns in the fall and they came up the following spring just fine. Plant away!

I actually *just* came inside from planting 5 new crowns at my new house. Going to hopefully transplant 5 others here soon as well. Great Lakes Hops actually suggests this as a great time of year to plant them. They're who I've gotten my last 6 (7 actually, counting a freebie!) plants from. Great people and great product - 1st year Columbus produced 6 oz+ dried in the exact spot where a Willamette never did better than 1/4 oz. But I digress. Plant now, at least if you're transplanting or planting a crown (and you probably won't find a rhizome now anyways).

I've read (Love of Hops) that after harvest you are supposed to cut the bines down to only a few inches and cover with soil. If planting crowns and "field ready" plants (from Great Lakes) in fall, should we cover the stocks the same way?

I've read (Love of Hops) that after harvest you are supposed to cut the bines down to only a few inches and cover with soil. If planting crowns and "field ready" plants (from Great Lakes) in fall, should we cover the stocks the same way?

I have a similar question. I planted 1st year plants a month or so ago. 3-5 feet tall when I got them. No cones, but they are still green and growing a little bit. I'm in southern BC. When should I trim back?

mpghm, if the plants are still green, they still have the ability to produce energy from sunlight (photosynthesis). Being that they're not growing vigorously at this point, they're not using much of that energy for growth. The energy that they don't use for growth is directed downward to be stored in the crown which will accumulate and be used next year. Trim the vines back once they've died back, usually after a few good frosts. Once this is done, it's a good idea to apply a few inches of some type of mulch (soil/compost etc.) to help insulate the crown from temperature extremes over the winter. This is done on plants grown from rhizomes or plugs for the same reason. Hope this helps.

I transferred my magnum in the fall. It never really took off in the last location. It is starting to grow. Hopefully it takes off this summer otherwise I might get rid of it.

Fall is a good time to propagate. Fall is a good time to transfer. I kind of want to plant some this fall. Of course I probably could plant now and get things started.

Back