Planted hops today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it . I bought a rhyzome and planted it today... sounds like it's pretty damn easy to grow them but i'll holler if I'm mistaken and need help. :p

Figuring out what pests enjoy the plants may be your biggest hurdle. When I lived in Dallas I struggled with heat but pests were the real killer. No matter how much I watered, I'd get beat down by spider mites every year and several years locusts decimated them. Locusts probably not an issue where you are but watch for spider mites and aphids.

Must be nice..here in Mass we are getting snow/sleet/rain tomorrow...mild winter until last week of Feb and now most of March is going to be below average temps, so not planting season here yet. Good luck with the hops!

Been in the 70's and 80's here ... Buddy of mine sent a pic of his dad running his snowblower up in Maine ... NOPE . I have one bine about 16" long so far . looks like it grows a couple inches a day 😁
20230225_073827.jpg
This picture is from a week or 2 ago ... Thanks for the comment ... and good luck with your weather .

Been in the 70's and 80's here ... Buddy of mine sent a pic of his dad running his snowblower up in Maine ... NOPE . I have one bine about 16" long so far . looks like it grows a couple inches a day 😁
View attachment 814089This picture is from a week or 2 ago ... Thanks for the comment ... and good luck with your weather .
You planted it from a seed or rhizome?

View attachment 814089This picture is from a week or 2 ago ... Thanks for the comment ... and good luck with your weather .
I think you need to cut the first shoots for..... Reasons?

You planted it from a seed or rhizome?
Planted a Rhyzome
I think you need to cut the first shoots for..... Reasons?
I've read that the first Fast growing shoots are "Bull shoots" and need to be cut because they tend to be hollow and they have long intermodal spaces reducing yield . Until I have more shoots emerging I'm hesitant to cut this one as I have nothing to compare it to.

Planted a Rhyzome

I've read that the first Fast growing shoots are "Bull shoots" and need to be cut because they tend to be hollow and they have long intermodal spaces reducing yield . Until I have more shoots emerging I'm hesitant to cut this one as I have nothing to compare it to.
Look at the space between the leaves. These are bull shoots. But there's a perfect length when to cut them, don't know when tbh.

Not sure if current practice has changed but when I planted rhizomes the general consensus seemed to be let all the shoots grow in year one. It should help the plant get established for strength in future years.

Good luck and enjoy,

Thanks guys , I'm not too concerned with production at this point I just want a healthy plant . If the subsequent bines sprout and things get super crowded I may do some culling IF I can Identify obvious Bull shoots ...other than internodal spacing, I've read bull shoots are purple and thorny and hollow.
This is an experiment to see if I can keep this one alive so I'll mostlylet it do it's thing... if all goes well I will plant more varieties next year ...I have a farm so space is not an issue.

20230330_095141.jpg
20230330_095415.jpg

Some update pics in case anyone cares ... There are 4 bines now and I set up some climbing lines for them ... only issues I've had so far are leaf hoppers ... sprayed some Neem oil a couple times and they seem to be under control . Had a freeze couple weeks ago ... no I'll effects from that that I could tell .

Awesome , are you going to let them run on that fence ?
Here's mine as of yesterday .
20230420_164333[1].jpg

Bine on the right is definitely a "Bull bine" it is younger than the one on the left and is growing at an incredible rate ... notice spacing between the leaves is 3 times the distance of the one on left .

Last edited:
Awesome , are you going to let them run on that fence ?
No, I'm in the process of making the trellis. I cemented the post today. One side will be a 19' pole, with wire running to a nearby tree.

Bine on the right is definitely a "Bull bine"
Are you letting your bull shoots grow the first year too? I know people usually recommend not trimming bines the first year, but I didn't know if that included the bull shoots or not.

I'm on the fence as to whether to cull the bull shoots . I tend to lean toward leaving it but I've gotten advice both ways ... as I stated earlier in the thread I just want a healthy plant not concerned too much about how much hops I get this year . If this one does well this year I will plant more varieties next year .

You want to keep about 3 shoots. Whenever you get where you have more than 3 feel free to cut bull shoots. My hops are 3 years old and I'm thinking I may have to try to kill them off next year or the year after that. My Comet is 3+ feet out into my yard from both sides of the center. Dug up and cut huge roots trying to put it back into its own space but they are aggressive. I have 3 Comet, 3 Cashmere, 3 Centennial, and 3 Cascade. Comet is an uncontrollable beast and Cascade sems to be following suit.

First signs of growth today, six days after planting, on my Cascade and Vista.

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_190250579.jpg
    IMG_20230424_190250579.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Back