Plans for homemade camp stove??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
HEY, anyone have simple plans or made a homemade camp stove... like a Wood Gas stove? I am going on my first annual Welniak family camping expedition and the dual fuel stove that I want will not be here in time... SO this is my chance to make an earth friendly stove!

Pol

Grab the grates off of your BBQ grill and some bricks or cinder blocks and you
can make yourself an excellent Outback grill! A cast iron pan can be very versitle
as well. If not, good ol' Aluminum foil can do wonders. Ever have twice backed potatoes or maybe some Yams on the campfire! Yum!:mug:

Ever heard of a wood gas stove? Just looking for an alternative to firing up the camp fire to cook all of our meals... I LOVE CAMPING!!

To be honest, I had never heard of a wood gas stove before your post.
It doen't look easy to setup. In principle, it's a great idea, but is it worth the trouble on a camping trip? If you decide to go this route, I'd be very intersted in the setup.:rockin:

I have three days of "free time" before my trip, I think I am going to make one, if and when I get one running, I will post pics, plans and video... I may use corn in the burner, it burns HOT and extremely clean...

Pol

We will have a camp fire, but this is to cook on only... during the day when the campfire is not lit.

megavites said:
Grab the grates off of your BBQ grill and some bricks or cinder blocks and you
can make yourself an excellent Outback grill!

I'm planning an outback trip via canoe this summer with my eldest son. Of all the equipment that we're packing, (freeze dried food, lightweight cooking utensils, water purifying tablets), cinder blocks was one item we've neglected on our list. Do you tend to bring just one for each backpack, or do you fill the middle of the canoe and drag it across the portages? :eek:

Thanks, it was awesome, my daughter finally got some time with dad... being away 4 days a week is hard on both of them. We all needed it!

Pol

Grill2Go_Original.jpg

Thermos Grill 2 Go

This is what I mostly use when I camp. I know its not the answer to your question, but thought I'd throw it out there.

This thing is awesome....not homemade, but works great. I also have a coleman fuel stove and a charcoal grill, nice long cooking forks I take camping with me.....Oh and the stove in my 71 camper works too!

If you camp alot....that G2G is a nice investment

EDIT: I didnt go to page 2 and see youve already went and returned......Looks like you had fun

Back