Planning high gravity brew, but have poor aeration technique.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am hoping to brew my first high(ish) gravity, highly hopped beer this year. Planned OG ~1.070.

I am concerned though with my ability to aerate the wort as I use a simple air-pump, HEPA filter and 2um stone setup. A pure O2 setup is in the wish list, but will not happen before this brew.

I wonder if I could overcome the limitation by slightly over-pitching and/or doing a second round of aeration hours after pitching?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leave it set up and blow in more air at the 3-4 hour mark, the yeast don't really need it all at once.

Atb. Aamcle

I brewed a RIS at 1.136 at the beginning of January....chewed up to 1.030 in less than 2 weeks.....all I do is shake the carboy.:ban::rockin:

I brewed a RIS at 1.136 at the beginning of January....chewed up to 1.030 in less than 2 weeks.....all I do is shake the carboy.:ban::rockin:

Similar here. 1.113 to 1.026 - shaking only. Let it sit for a total of 5 weeks.

Hi everybody,
I am hoping to brew my first high(ish) gravity, highly hopped beer this year. Planned OG ~1.070.

I am concerned though with my ability to aerate the wort as I use a simple air-pump, HEPA filter and 2um stone setup. A pure O2 setup is in the wish list, but will not happen before this brew.

I wonder if I could overcome the limitation by slightly over-pitching and/or doing a second round of aeration hours after pitching?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I believe oxygenation is highly overstated on these forums. As long as you're pitching active healthy yeast at proper pitching rates, you will be fine without oxygenation. If you're pitching marginal numbers or old yeast, you may need to worry more about oxygenating your wort.

You need a certain amount of yeast to ferment your beer without then introducing off flavors. How you get to those numbers of yeast cells can vary. You can put in a relatively small amount (single smack pack) and provide the conditions for them to multiply (aeration), you can use multiple smack packs, you can build starters, you can use dry yeast. I've made good tasting beer with dry yeast and minimal shaking on a 1.070 beer. I think you are already going overboard with your air pump and will have plenty of yeast to ferment out your beer.

I've been using my tall auto-siphon, not sure if this is really effective, but I just suck wort from the bottom of the bucket, and blast it back on top. I do this for a minute or so until its a big bubbly mess, then pitch the yeast and don't touch it again.

Worked out brilliantly for my Belgian ale
(OG 1.100 - FG 1.018)

I take my immersion blender and put the milkshake attachment (sanitized of course) on it and blend the hell out of the wort for 30 seconds or so. I've only done that with the past few batches but it seems to work well.

Latest posts

Back