Plan B(eer): Using a PicoBrew Z Completely Offline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planbeer

Reaction score
This is a proof-of-concept. Given PicoBrew's recent announcements, I'm hoping this won't be needed long-term. I love their online components and I will continue to use their site as long as it's available.

The Project: duffyco/planbeer

The Journey: https://duffy.dev/thoughts.html

This is under development. I'll be making things more robust and building it out over the next few weeks.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. Picked up a cheap Ebay pico c awhile back. I wonder if these things will have a second life with the company closing. Also wonder if inventory will be liquidated at some point.

This is a proof-of-concept. Given PicoBrew's recent announcements, I'm hoping this won't be needed long-term. I love their online components and I will continue to use their site as long as it's available.

This is under development. I'll be making things more robust and building it out over the next few weeks.
Awesome! Thanks.

Nice work. I considered doing this as well. My fear was as you discussed in the blog post that they would not connect SSL to a MITM proxy or server without firmware modification... But it looks like it just took a self signed cert with no firmware mods? So just hijacking the DNS and presenting a self signed cert worked? That is great. I'm a full stack dev and while I haven't coded in Go, I will test and help you with this as well with my Z.

Also people might want to consider NOT taking on any firmware upgrade they push from now on. It seems like this is very easy to replace the API so we wouldn't want someone to push a release that makes this harder. I don't think Picobrew really tried to mitigate this at all because they were in the business of supplies/machines. But someone else might see this as some source of monthly subscription revenue.

I've taken a pre-release firmware update after a fine tear down of what was inside of it. This new 0.0.119 firmware (located at: http://picobrewcontent.blob.core.windows.net/firmware/zseries/zseries_0_0_119.bin) introduces an embedded webserver that you can use to setup recipe steps or push a JSON recipe to in order to have the machine enter a "local brew" session which allows full automation features without the need of the online Z_Crafter within Picobrew's BrewHouse.

Unfortunately this hasn't been released by Picobrew for OTA updates and if you do sideload it (via mitmproxy interception) you need to intercept and modify the response of the ZState request because this will attempt to downgrade your machine back to the "production/stable" release of http://picobrewcontent.blob.core.windows.net/firmware/zseries/zseries_0_0_116.bin.

Last edited:

Looks great - will it work for the Zymatic as well? Any plans to support same if not? Thanks!

I am brewing a test batch with Plan Beer right now. Works great. Thanks!

I also have added implementation to the other GitHub project that has support already for Zymatic, Pro/C/S and PicoFerm. When my PR is made and merged (pending this weekend) this one repo should have full feature support for all existing Pico projects (exception of KegSmarts which has been discontinued for a while).

Image below is live graph of my brew session testing everything tonight.

Attachments

• received_267222834623851.png
    received_267222834623851.png
    204 KB · Views: 75
I also have added implementation to the other GitHub project that has support already for Zymatic, Pro/C/S and PicoFerm. When my PR is made and merged (pending this weekend) this one repo should have full feature support for all existing Pico projects (exception of KegSmarts which has been discontinued for a while).

Image below is live graph of my brew session testing everything tonight.
Nice. Are you talking about this GitHub project? hotzenklotz/picobrew-server

No sorry this one, chiefwigms/picobrew_pico.

Thought I added a link, guess I forgot.
Is this working? I see notes that you have added support for Zseries but I am not sure if you consider it functional or not?

Also, is their a recommendation for HTTPS support. All the other devices use HTTP but Zseries uses HTTPS. I ran the chiefwigms server. It gives an HTTP error. I assumed that was due to lack of HTTPS and certificates. I didn’t try to debug.

Last edited:
Yes the python server is a simple http server. For ZSeries support I'm using a mitmproxy in front so I can choose between sending traffic to PB proper or to my local PB server.

Hello, I have followed all the steps and ok, but when connecting the Z by Wi-Fi to Planb it asks me for the password but it cannot communicate and says that connection time is exhausted.
What can be?
Thank you

Hello, I have followed all the steps and ok, but when connecting the Z by Wi-Fi to Planb it asks me for the password but it cannot communicate and says that connection time is exhausted.
What can be?
Thank you
Asking for your password probably means you need to prefix the command with sudo.

At some point, you will not be able to get replacement parts. So, it comes down to how long do you keep it on life-support before you actually pull the plug?

At some point, you will not be able to get replacement parts. So, it comes down to how long do you keep it on life-support before you actually pull the plug?
I like my Z. If I can fix it, I will. I have had it one year. I hope to get at least 2 more years. Hopefully more with replacement parts.

The inside of the Z is fairly modular and easy to understand. With this forum and the FB group I think we can help each other through many problems.

Today is the expiration date for PICOBREW.COM domain name. Will it get renewed or will it be put up for auction?

Domain Name: PICOBREW.COM

Registry Domain ID: 75522201_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN

Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com

Registrar URL: Make Your Own Way | GoDaddy

Updated Date: 2018-07-31T11:36:57Z

Creation Date: 2001-07-30T23:32:09Z

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2020-07-30T23:32:09Z

October 2, 2020

Dear Customers,

We recognize PicoBrew left you with many unanswered questions. We want to give you this update that we hope will provide some answers.

As you probably know, PicoBrew’s mission over the past 10 years was to revolutionize the homebrewing and beverage space. The company wouldn’t be anything without customers and loyal fans like yourself. We are fans too. The mission has always been about allowing PicoBrew’s users to create high quality, customized beverages with precision, ease and repeatability.

Since July 2018, PicoBrew’s primary source of funding for daily operations came from loans from PB Funding Group, LLC, a group who shared in everyone’s passion and believed in keeping the lights on for our customers. Unfortunately, PicoBrew was unable to come up with a viable operating structure that didn’t require significant additional operating capital that ultimately could not be found.

With all options exhausted, PicoBrew had no choice but to enter into Washington State receivership on February 7, 2020. That process officially concluded on May 8, 2020.

During the receivership process, the receiver reached out to every possible buyer they could find who could potentially be interested, yet with the ongoing pandemic adding layers of complexity, no buyer emerged in time to make a bid.

With PB Funding Group as the only secured lender, and ultimately the only bidder, PicoBrew’s assets became the property of PB Funding Group, LLC. Through the receivership process, PB Funding Group, LLC did not assume any of PicoBrew’s liabilities. It only receives what assets remain.

Efforts to find the right buyer, licensee, or partner are actively underway, however all operations had to be terminated to stop the losses. Many of the company’s assets were liquidated to arrest the massive warehousing and operational costs.

Conversations are ongoing with those interested in all or parts of the company, but nothing has been decided yet. We continue to search for buyers who are interested in some or all of the technology either in the form of a sale or potential licensing of the underlying technology.

What does this mean for you?

While we don’t have all the answers yet, on a day-to-day basis you can expect our servers to remain online for the foreseeable future. This means you can continue using your devices and our services as normal. We are unable to guarantee this indefinitely, but contingencies are being evaluated to sustain the usefulness of all devices.

We will be shutting down the forum at some point because of a lack of activity. We are watching how it’s used and want to leave it alone until it’s of no further use.

All options are under consideration. We will share additional details as events unfold.

Aka we are looking for as much money as we can... No one has bid high enough to recoup our losses. Sorry folks we just aren't on your team cause we royally screwed this one up from the beginning. 🤣

Back