Pitching too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandley

Reaction score
Hello,
I am using the west coast coast ale yeast(BRY-97) for the first time. While it was my intention to cool the wort to 70, like normal, I did not. Not sure what I did wrong or messed up but never the less I ended up dry pitching the yeast at about 87. I must have had my temp probe in a cool spot before I really checked. So my question is, did I fry the yeast? If so can I just pitch another packet?

It wasn't the best thing to do, but you should be ok. The yeast will survive 90* so I wouldn't worry about repitching at this point. Get your temp down to 65 or so ASAP to keep away ester production.

If there is no sign of fermentation after 2-3 days, check back in and we can help with ideas if needed.

Actually, the yeast will love that temperature, but as DocScott said if you leave it that high you will produce off flavors that will be undesirable.

I agree you are OK.
I do not know specifics of that yeast, but I would guess it is flexible with regards to temp.
I prefer to bring the temp down to 65-68 and then pitch a starter that is within a couple degrees.
Happy Yeast = Good Beer

I'd echo what the others have said, probably fine and just try to get the temp down. In the future you should cool your wort below 70 before pitching. Pitching at about 65 is a good starting point for most brews (some lower, some higher) and then letting the temp creep up slowly after the first couple days.

even if it takes longer, always wait til below ferment temp to pitch as pitching immediately isn't necessary. i've gone a few days without issue

in any case, yeast don't fry til around 120, so you didn't kill any, you just may get some extra esters/fusels if you don't get the temp down soon

Latest posts

Back