Pitching on Yeast Cake Warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpfuror

Reaction score
Hello All...

This is my first post, although I have been brewing for a while and reading for even longer.

I thought I would post about my most recent brew.

I just put together what I would consider a Dunkelweizen from what I have had around from previous brews. I planned on using a yeast cake from another weizen batch I just finished.. the original yeast was white labs WLP550. This was the fist time that I was using the cake as in the past I would just wash the yeast and store it, but I had some supplies to use and a free carboy...

Anyway.. I put together the following recipe:

0.80 pounds Maris Otter
0.80 pounds American Wheat
4.00 pounds Wheat DME
4.00 pounds Light DME
2oz Cascade 4.5% Pellets @ 60 mins.

Made a 5 gallon wort at the same time kegging the previous batch.

I added the wort to the yeast cake in a 6.5 gallon carboy and I swear in 20 minutes the the air lock was going crazy. I didn't think much about it and left it alone.

I came back a half hour later (I guess just to check) and I had a mess... the air lock was on the floor and basically everything just exploded out the top of the carboy.

I guess I'm just posting to Warn anyone tying this....

A: read the forms first...
and
B: use a blow off valve...

I recovered by adding a blow off value, but still can't find the lid to my 3 piece air lock.

Here's a picture after the recovery:
DSCN0466.jpg

I have a video of the violent fermentation after the blow value was added if anyone want to see it.

Later.

Don't you love it?!? I love walking in to find splatters on the wall and not being able to find my airlock... irritating as all piss, but love to see that fermentation!

Isn't it wonderful to see a brew go into high krausen 1 hour after you add the wort?

And you're right, there probably should be more warnings given out about exactly what will happen when you reuse a yeast cake.

I am still trying to figure out why i seem to be the only one who continually gets run of the mill activity from pitching on yeast cakes. I have needed a blowoff exactly once, and that was a 3 gal batch of Apfelwein in a 3 gallon carboy with Notty.

I am still trying to figure out why i seem to be the only one who continually gets run of the mill activity from pitching on yeast cakes. I have needed a blowoff exactly once, and that was a 3 gal batch of Apfelwein in a 3 gallon carboy with Notty.

Are you cooling your wort/must down to 50* before gnihctip (calling adding wort to yeast pitching seems backwards to me)? Or maybe leaving the cake under your beer for a few months?

Every single time I've siphoned wort onto a cake I've gotten an incredibly fast ferment.

I have no need to cool that far down. Fermentation happens quickly, just not violently.

I always get crazzzzzzy fast and violent start ups when I pitch onto a yeast cake, with a crazy high kreusen, but i think ive been lucky. it hasnt blown my airlock off yet, but im sure if i keep doing it it will happen eventually haha

Back