Pitched yeast and fermention was a bust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synchros

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently brewing a raspberry blonde. I purchase a pre-created malt that came with a small packet of yeast (used these before with no trouble) I mixed the yeast first with 250ml to let it start recating then mixed into my primary.
When transferring to my secondary (about 9 days later) I noticed there was far less waste product then normal. Hydrometer showed 0% alcohol at this time.
I took about half the waste and added it into my secondary along with my 4lbs of raspberries. Checked back a week later and the waste product seemed to be at an acceptable amount so I thought all was well. Another week has passed and I rechecked with my hydromoter and now only at 1%.
This was all done in a temp controlled room at about 19o Celcius.
Ok all that said are there any risks in pitching more yeast or what does everyone recommend I do to increase the alcohol content?
Thanks in advanced!

How are you calculating your alcohol? What are the numbers on the hydrometer? What was your recipe and was your wort hot when you put in your yeast?

Hydrometers do not tell you how much alcohol is in the beer. The scale is POTENTIAL alcohol and you have to subtract the final value from the beginning value.

Hey, the wort was not hot it was room temp with a pitched. The hydrometer I used the numbers to calc the %. Also a quick taste told me it was weak ie: couldn't taste acohol!

Just need to know if pitching more yeast will boost it up or if I should just cut my losses and keg it as it and enjoy it as a non alcho?

What are your original gravitiy and current gravity measurements? If this was a prepackaged extract kit then there is no doubt that there are enough fermentable sugars to give you beer with more than 1% abv.

Your reading you hydrometer wrong. You need to be looking at the side with the scale 1.000 to get your gravity readings, there are no percentages on that scale. From your original gravity(OG) pre fermentation and your final gravity(FG) post fermentation.

Then the calculation is (OG-FG)x131 = ABV. Very simple.

Post your recipe, it will help us calculate your OG.

I think you have beer but you are reading your hydrometer wrong. Take a reading on the side were it has 1.000 numbers right now then post your recipe and we can figure it out for you. Your reading will prohibit probably be between 1.010 and 1.020.

Latest posts

Back