Pitched starter at 80+ degrees!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
So, turns out my dad can't read a thermometer and read 77 when it was actually 87. So I assumed it was ready to pitch the yeast. I was shaking the carboy and it felt way too warm for 77. I took a temperature reading and it was 82 degrees.... Pretty pissed at this point, haven't made a mistake like this before and this was going to be a really good beer. So what are some issues that I may run into. One thing I am worried about is my blow off hose sucking sanitized solution into the carboy when the beer cools down. My OG was also off by .004, could this be off because the wort that I tested was way too warm or some other reason. Not really sure what to expect, since I have never had this problem. Am I going to have to pitch more yeast at some point or what? Any thoughts?

Cheers

What yeast did you pitch and what was your OG?

In a broad sense, your yeast will take off like crazy and throw a bunch of flavors, some good, others bad. The worst of which being fusels. But it all depends on the two above parameters.

What yeast did you pitch and what was your OG?

In a broad sense, your yeast will take off like crazy and throw a bunch of flavors, some good, others bad. The worst of which being fusels. But it all depends on the two above parameters.

I pitched my 1.2L starter of 1272 into my wort which had an OG of 1.050. Since the estimated OG was supposed to be 1.054 and I was off, I pitched a little extra yeast.

Quick stick it in a cold bucket of water![/QUiOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't have the option. I'm no longer at my parents house and my dad is not there either to do this... its all up to my closet which is 66 degrees to cool it down.

RDWHAHB one time i got my starter to 112 degrees and once I cooled it back down I ended up pitching it into wort that was about15 degrees cooler than it should have been. Not only was is one of the best fermentations I've had it turned out to be the best beer I've made yet...

Thanks for the replies. Its only been three hours after pitching the yeast and its at 74 degrees. Not too worried about it.

Cheers!

Back