Pitched rehydrated yeast right into refrigerated apple cider. Should I be concerned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanelwell

Reaction score
I bought this delicious unpasteurized apple cider from a local farm. I pulled three gallons directly out of my refrigerator today, and after rehydrating my dry yeast (Danstar Nottingham) in 90°F water, I pitched into the cold cider (about 48°F). My concern is that the yeast's sudden change from refrigerated to 90° to 48° might have shocked and killed some of the yeast. It's been about 90 minutes since I pitched.

I bought this delicious unpasteurized apple cider from a local farm. I pulled three gallons directly out of my refrigerator today, and after rehydrating my dry yeast (Danstar Nottingham) in 90°F water, I pitched into the cold cider (about 48°F). My concern is that the yeast's sudden change from refrigerated to 90° to 48° might have shocked and killed some of the yeast. It's been about 90 minutes since I pitched.

I don't think it is as big a deal as if you put the yeast into a hot cider. The yeast probably won't like the cold, but when it warms to room temp, they should start multiplying. Give it 48 - 72 hours before becoming too concerned.

That's what I figured. I had a hell of a time finding unpasteurized cider...between its price tag and its unbelievably good taste, it would be a shame for things to go south.

I did the same thing and it started to ferment but more slow than the room temp cider until it warmed up.

jordanelwell said:

Curious to find out how it turned out as I just did the same thing and pitched onto some chilly cider. what yeast did you pitch?

Also, I know what you mean trying to find some good cider without preservatives. The first 3 gallons I bought had potassium benzoate, so I wasn't able to use them. Finally found some good stuff at whole foods from Hy's Cider Mill in Michigan ($5/half gal!!!).

Curious to find out how it turned out as I just did the same thing and pitched onto some chilly cider. what yeast did you pitch?

Also, I know what you mean trying to find some good cider without preservatives. The first 3 gallons I bought had potassium benzoate, so I wasn't able to use them. Finally found some good stuff at whole foods from Hy's Cider Mill in Michigan ($5/half gal!!!).

Turned out fine. As mike said, once the yeast warmed up a bit they got right to work.

I did end up with an infection in one of my two batches, though...off to the basement to attempt to salvage it right now!

Back