Pitch 11.5 grams dry yeast into 1 gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcostigan

Reaction score
I have been brewing 1 gallon batches for a couple months now, and I have been using packets of Safale us-05 an s-04. I have been using online pitching calculators and the calculators have recommended pitching 3 - 4 grams per batch for a medium gravity beer. I have been concerned about using the leftover yeast in the packet(typically only a week later) due to the risk of possible infection/contamination. When I stopped at my local HBS, the owner told me that it was fine to pitch the whole 11.5 gram packet into a 1 gallon batch, and cautioned me against opening a full packet and using it to make several batches over the course of a few weeks. Does anyone have any input? How much is the most yeast you've ever pitched and into how much wort? Dry yeast is cheap, but I don't want to throw away $1.50 worth each time I brew.

Try making or planning more one gallon batches. Like if you can make two or three at a time. Ive rolled mine up-it can be risky. I think I may have gotten a few infections doing this and I think there are certain yest that are very vaunerable. Less of a chance if you use it sooner and store it in a vaccume sealed bag,keeping air out. I dont do this anymore, I try to use up one pack at a time, meaning Ill make at least two one gallon batches at a time now.
You could also invest into liquid yeast and learn how to ranch or farm the yeast for batches making it as cheap as dry yeast in the long run. Your getting a good deal at 1.50, I pay like 3-4 bucks for dry yeast. I wouldnt consider that throwing away money by using the whole packet although you can split it in two one gallon batches.

I do it all the time.

My steps are:
1) Sanatize packet and small dish to weigh on scale with (or don't, I've done it both ways and haven't seen a difference with no infection either way)
2) cut the corner only of the yeast packet
3) pour out ~5gr of yeast into bowl while measuring
4) Shake the yeast to the bottom, then roll the cut end down to the yeast.
5) Put a piece of blue painters tape over the packet to "seal" it, and label the tape with a Sharpie as to how many grains are left.
6) Put it in a ziplock snack bag, then into the fridge.

I've brewed with the same yeast 3 weeks later with no issues.

I will be starting to harvest my yeast now in the future, I had a few frowny-face moments pouring awesome yeast cakes down the drain, so I figure why not try it and see how it goes.

It's only beer.

Why do people think it's ok/safe to ranch liquid yeast but that closing up a yeast packet is bad? Do bacteria run toward an open yeast packet but leave a jar of slurry alone? No, bacteria is all over everything, but they don't have anything to eat, esp in a dry yeast envelope.

Obviously, good standard sanitation is important. And the oxygen that gets in is probably not as good as the nitro flush it got at the factory. But throwing out dry yeast is a waste.

As for over pitching, some of the flavors come during reproduction. If you dump a whole pack in a gallon you get less reproduction (they don't need to) and thus less flavor from the yeast.

Latest posts

Back