Wood-Aged Beer Pirate Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea where they came from, found them hiding in the back of the spice cabinet. Doesn't say what the origin is or what store, either. I'll break one in half for my 'Shipwreck Ale' tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Is there anything to be done to the pineapples before they are added to the boil or do I just toss them in?

MLHBS didn't add the Weyermann CaraAroma®; Weyermann to my grain bag, and I just realized that is why it looks lighter than all the pictures I have seen. :confused: I just pitched the yeast about 2 hours ago. Do you think there is a way to add it in or something of the sort, or should I just see what I end up with? 5gal @ OG 1.082

2013-12-28 13.55.16.jpg

It's possible...I did something similar but realized before boil. I think if you steep you could get away with 1/4 gallon at 155 for 20 mind and cool then add?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Well I did just that. Today is day 18 in primary, and I took my first reading. 1.014SG and plan on adding oak and vanilla on Thursday. Should I use a secondary vessel or leave it on the yeast and oak in the primary? I've seen lots of mixed feelings on either way.

I have actually been tossing that question around myself a bit since I will be doing the transfer on the 24th...or just the "drop in". It's my thought that you'll be fine dropping the bag in to the primary. I usually dry hop that way now. This time I may have to anyway because I don't have any other buckets available and I just don't see carboys working well with oak chips. Not sure if that actually helps.

Kicked it. Ever one loved this beer. I'm planning on brewing it again with no changes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed this last Saturday and left a cinnamon stick in accidently. :'( hope it still turns out. Been thinking of trying to fish it out.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Home Brew mobile app

Ha. The cinnamon in mine was so unnoticeable that I would like to know how yours turns out. RDWGAHB

For sure I'll post the results. I had plenty of homebrew that day. Thats why I missed getting both sticks out. Haha

Well, all my pals and the gals were toasted off of this recipe. I'm sure you will have a great beer.

So I just started using Beersmith and I cannot see how you got your IBUs to 37.0, mine only shows 24.9 after matching the AA%. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I have a few lbs of cascades and a lb of centennial I can pull from to up the ibus, but the previous version I made (following the recipe exactly with a hiccup) was Amazingly delicious. I would like to get the hang of using beersmith so that I can save recipes and notes on the brews I make, but this one doesn't add up for me. (5gallon batch)

Did you ever transfer to secondary?

Kicked it. Ever one loved this beer. I'm planning on brewing it again with no changes.

Did you ever transfer or did you leave it? Just curious thanks

I transferred since my carboy came available. Ill not be able to this time, though I'm not worried.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

I didn't transfer it either. I probably won't in the future for oaking. I just popped the top, dropped the bag, shut 'r up and waited a week. Worked out just fine.

I have a Russian Imperial that I will do the exact same with this weekend.

For the oak, yes. The vanilla I just split the bean, dunked in star san and tossed in along side the bag of oak.

I used an old nylon mesh grain bag that I had cut to a much smaller size. I've basically started using pint size mason jars and putting the oak chips in, tying off the bag then pouring in the rum (or wild turkey for my RIS) then sealing the container. When it's time to add, I pull it outta the jar, bag and all, leave the rum (or bourbon) in the jar and drop the bag in the bucket. Everything pretty much stays contained and I don't need to worry much about sterilizing and transfers, etc.

For the oak, yes. The vanilla I just split the bean, dunked in star san and tossed in along side the bag of oak.

I used an old nylon mesh grain bag that I had cut to a much smaller size. I've basically started using pint size mason jars and putting the oak chips in, tying off the bag then pouring in the rum (or wild turkey for my RIS) then sealing the container. When it's time to add, I pull it outta the jar, bag and all, leave the rum (or bourbon) in the jar and drop the bag in the bucket. Everything pretty much stays contained and I don't need to worry much about sterilizing and transfers, etc.

Wow good idea! I need to try that

This is what it looks like. Just enough space in there. If needed, a quart jar could work too. I think more rum/whiskey etc would be used though.

1393005933088.jpg

I just took gravity reading 1.020 at week two in fermenter. Cant believe how good it is already! Where does this beer finish at?

That is slick! Thanks for sharing! Definetly going to do that on the next batch

I just took gravity reading 1.020 at week two in fermenter. Cant believe how good it is already! Where does this beer finish at?

I have a total lack of consistency in my beers finishing. I've done 4 batches total:
Starting points - 1.074, 1.068, 1.060, 1.079
Ending points - 1.014, 1.002, 0.998, 1.014

Bear this in mind, batches 1 and 4 are the only ones where I used NEW WLP060 with 1l starters. Batch 2 was done with a "washed" WLP060. Batch 3 was done with the Belle Saison dry yeast (and that b*tch is a BEAST).

So, I guess, with what I think I see in a pattern, ~1.014 is what I'd be shooting for. J has 1.018 -1.016 listed on the original post though so anything between there would work.

It's an opinion, but take the whole 4 weeks worth of time in the primary/secondary. I think you'll be very satisfied that it's done and the flavors are well meshed.

Mash higher to end higher. The lower the mash temp the more fermentables you'll have

Mash higher to end higher. The lower the mash temp the more fermentables you'll have

What would be an ideal mash temp.? I usually shoot for 154-156 for an hour. Does that sound right?

That's what I do. I'm brewing this again today, so I'll let you know how the numbers come out for me lol

I hit an OG of 1.078 on 2/22/14 and today (2/27/14) I have a SG of 1.016. Only reason I checked is because was removing the blow off tube. I switched to a blow off tube when I noticed I almost blew the lid off of my bucket! :drunk:
Now that the trumpet of a co2 release has ceased to exist (we had a local chill, dropping my chamber for 57°F) I removed the blow off and checked SG, then replaced my air lock.

It was bubbling before I closed the door... haha. I really do enjoy this brew.

Jupapabear

Both the OG and the name compelled me to brew this. I wasn't able to get the exact DME or Brown Sugar weights, and ended up with an OG of 1.085, which is higher than I've ever done (this is my 5th batch, brewed as BIAB, so that might be a factor). The LHBS didn't have the yeast specified, so I used a WYeast American Ale Puffer pack thing (can't remember the number, and didn't write it down). The guy at the LHBS also suggested, since the expected OG was around 1.100, to pitch two more rehydrated dry yeast packs (citing 1.06 OG needs one yeast pack, 1.08 needs 2, 1.100 needs 3). So given my OG I pitched one extra pack.

This was on Sunday night (2014-02-23), and in the bucket (this one apparently sealed, had problems with that in the past) it bubbled away furiously for 2 days, and is still giving a bubble every 10 seconds or so.

My only other difference was the addition of 0.5 oz Cascade hops at 60 minutes, to try to balance the sweetness.

Anyway, just wanted to report that I'm trying this brew, and many friends want to try it. Will report back when I throw in the rum chips.

And ... seriously... pineapple? at least it wasn't coconut (Hmmm... ferment in coconut shells, interesting idea... TM-20140224 :))

The only thing I'm worried about is a stuck fermentation. But I should just be able to pitch another dry pack of yeast to get it started again (assuming a fermenter swirl doesn't work) right?

Both the OG and the name compelled me to brew this. I wasn't able to get the exact DME or Brown Sugar weights, and ended up with an OG of 1.085, which is higher than I've ever done (this is my 5th batch, brewed as BIAB, so that might be a factor). The LHBS didn't have the yeast specified, so I used a WYeast American Ale Puffer pack thing (can't remember the number, and didn't write it down). The guy at the LHBS also suggested, since the expected OG was around 1.100, to pitch two more rehydrated dry yeast packs (citing 1.06 OG needs one yeast pack, 1.08 needs 2, 1.100 needs 3). So given my OG I pitched one extra pack.

This was on Sunday night (2014-02-23), and in the bucket (this one apparently sealed, had problems with that in the past) it bubbled away furiously for 2 days, and is still giving a bubble every 10 seconds or so.

My only other difference was the addition of 0.5 oz Cascade hops at 60 minutes, to try to balance the sweetness.

Anyway, just wanted to report that I'm trying this brew, and many friends want to try it. Will report back when I throw in the rum chips.

And ... seriously... pineapple? at least it wasn't coconut (Hmmm... ferment in coconut shells, interesting idea... TM-20140224 :))

The only thing I'm worried about is a stuck fermentation. But I should just be able to pitch another dry pack of yeast to get it started again (assuming a fermenter swirl doesn't work) right?

Dont worry you will have a great beer. Mine is at barely three week mark and it is delicous. I havent even put chips or vanilla in yet. I added two vials of liquid yeast for ten gallon batch, I dont have a stuck fermentation.

I am seriously considering brewing this but i have a few questions: (and im a newish brewer so sorry if they are basic)

has anyone calculated an all extract brew for this with maybe a little bit of specialty grains?

The brown sugar is not really listed on the brewday list. is it implied that you add it with the DME?

when it say 15min boil, is it 15mins in or 15min till flame out?

and lastly did you guys cut and scrape the vanilla bean or just cut it?

thanks and cheers

Brown Sugar with the DME, 15 till flameout (boil for 15 min only), I split the bean down the middle and added, but now that I'm coming upon secondary for my 2nd batch I will try to extract more somehow for it to be more noticeable.

I have no advise on the conversion to extract btw

Jupapabear

All extract was the first method I used when making this - it's on one of the first few pages but basically: 8 lbs light dry extract TOTAL instead of both DME and 2-row. Torrified wheat and CaraAroma you need to get.

I used 2 grade B vanilla beans in my last batch and it's awesome - vanilla is very prominent. Not sure the seeds will get you much more and to be honest, I'd not chance additional options for infections but I'm paranoid about that crap.

Enjoy!

Hey Guys. I'm looking to brew this for our local clubs "iron brew challenge" as it incorporates two ingredients that I selected.

With the high alcohol percentage is it possible to have this bottle conditioned and ready to drink at the 8 week mark or is that pushing it? Would it have a drastic impact on the flavor if I decreased either the DME or brown sugar to get to a lower OG?

It will still be good. In fact, right about on target with the time to start drinking it says I. You will notice the flavors mellowing nicely as it ages though!

It was great once it was carbed. I wish I can say I knew what an aged bottle tasted like. ;-)

Jupapabear

I bottled my finished brew last saturday. How long did you guys leave for conditioning?

As soon as carbed it's good as jupapa mentions. I still have one bottle of my second batch that is over a year and a half now.

Tried it Saturday delicous even though not fully carbed yet. Next time I am going to add two vanilla beans to 10 gallon batch

Back