Quantcast

Wood-Aged Beer Pirate Strong Ale

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cmac62

Reaction score
This sounds like it would be a great winter warmer/holiday brew. I'm subbed and I'll contemplate brewing someday, along with all the other great recipes on here. :bigmug:

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried subbing out the CaraAroma and will avoid that as much as possible from ever doing again. My LHBS also doesn't carry so i order from Adventures In Homebrewing. It surprises me how much of a difference that grain makes. Also as J1 stated, dark and light brown don't seem to have an impact as i have used both based on what I had on hand.
Hmmm...I just placed a fairly large order with AIH (2 5G kegs and some other oddities) as I’m still rounding out my kit having started brewing just this past year...dang it. I’ve got..I think two other LHBSs that I haven’t tried yet. Perhaps a small adventure is in order.

As far as the brown sugar goes, I’ve got a good amount, but it was bought from a local bakery distributor who starting splitting supplies into smaller batches to sell to the public in order to survive. So..plastic bag..definitely brown sugar. That’s about as far as it goes. Good info though, glad it isn’t too impactful 👍
That...is freekin awesome.

chrisbrew

Reaction score
I recently picked up a small barrel from a local distillery that was freshly dumped of rum so figured I'd brew up a batch of this and then transfer over to the barrel. I had to make a few substitutions along the way but happy with the results so far. The beer finished at about 8.8% abv and I just moved it into the barrel today.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'm excited for the final product!
20200925_093458.jpg

pwortiz

Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up a small barrel from a local distillery that was freshly dumped of rum so figured I'd brew up a batch of this and then transfer over to the barrel. I had to make a few substitutions along the way but happy with the results so far. The beer finished at about 8.8% abv and I just moved it into the barrel today.

View attachment 699911
This is awesome. I am looking forward to hearing about how it tastes!

OP
j1laskey

j1laskey

Reaction score

View attachment 699911
Awesome!!!!!......just seeing this now....keep us posted how it turns out!!!!

chrisbrew

Reaction score
Awesome!!!!!......just seeing this now....keep us posted how it turns out!!!!
I pulled it from the barrel last Sunday which was earlier than I was planning but the sample had already picked up very strong rum flavors and I didn't want it to get over the top. I am letting the beer condition with some vanilla for a bit which I'm hoping will smooth out the rum flavor. I'll report back when I finally get this tapped but from the samples I have high expectations!

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a mill, and ordered some CaraAroma while I was at it. None of my local shops carry it...

Was there a water profile mentioned in this thread that I may have missed? I did run a search for 'water profile' but nothing came up.

OP
j1laskey

j1laskey

Reaction score
When I first started brewing this I used “spring water” gallon jugs from the grocery store.

As of late I’ve started to use DO water and adjust to what style I am brewing.

My last batch of Pirate that is on tap now was brewed with straight DO water.

Let us know what you decide to do!?

Cheers!

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Water adjustments are probably the single most confusing part of the "basic" brewing process for me right now. I use brewer's friend and just kinda guess from a baseline of RO water.

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed this over the weekend...we'll see how it turns out. I ended up using Cluster vs. Galena, total inventory brain fart on my part. I thought I had Galena already...and didn't. So that was adjustment #1..

And now..I haven't started aging the oak chips yet...because I honestly think I might have screwed up and forgotten to cycle wort through my whirlpool arm when I put the IC to sanitize during the boil. Assuming....that I didn't screw it up, I'm thinking I'll probably do a mashup of Zaya which has a high level of sweet caramel and vanilla character, and Mt Gay Black Barrel which has a robust wood aged character to it.

Ferment took off like a rocket with US-05, and looks super healthy so far. Wort is turbid, as the yeast is definitely having a party.

IMG_82C7226AAE2A-1.jpeg

Auger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Almost 8 gal at 1.061 into the kettle...right on target. I think I'm going to call it "Tropical Shipwreck". LHBS was out of citra so subbing in an oz each of cascade and motueka. Also holding the pineapple over to the secondary.

View attachment 687904
Wow this was a while ago. Been pulling on this keg for a while now, but it's really come around the last few weeks. It ended up around 9%, the kveiking yeast was a beast. Not a ton of yeast character even after fermenting hot and fast, but definitely on the boozy side. It's mellowed out some now and the oak and booze lets the vanilla and pineapple come through now. One and done though, drinking this stuff.

OP
j1laskey

j1laskey

Reaction score
Wow this was a while ago. Been pulling on this keg for a while now, but it's really come around the last few weeks. It ended up around 9%, the kveiking yeast was a beast. Not a ton of yeast character even after fermenting hot and fast, but definitely on the boozy side. It's mellowed out some now and the oak and booze lets the vanilla and pineapple come through now. One and done though, drinking this stuff.
Yep....10oz pours!

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I checked fermentation yesterday and I was at 1.008, which is 88% attenuation so I figured the hell with it. Keg it.

I had just finished kegging an IPA, so I was already in that mode anyways.

847FD073-0950-45BF-B49C-A252F0A6D4B1.jpeg

It hadn’t soured and was really clear on top while in the fermenter. This alleviated my fear that I may have contaminated it almost 100%? I still can’t shake my feeling about the whirlpool, but maybe that’s just paranoia. It’s a step I most certainly won’t possibly miss again and that’s good.

My rum has only been soaking for 6 days now. So I racked into a keg that has a shortened dip tube and it is “crashing” in the kegerator.
  • Plan is to add a hop cage with the chips this upcoming weekend while pushing CO2 into the keg.
  • Purge a couple times
  • Let the cage sit in keg for 2 weeks
  • Pull cage while pushing CO2
  • Start carbonating (set and forget)

• Suggestions or good (decent) plan?

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks..I've actually read through that thread before. I like a fairly recent piece of advice in there though. Pick one expert, and follow their advice. Ingesting multiple sources, to include the interweb is going to drive you crazy.

I use brewer's friend, so the math is already done for me. Where I think I'm lacking is the lack of a guide into what is recommended for a particular style. I won't, or just don't want to fall into the trap of trying to emulate a specific city's profile. All I'd really like is....maybe the recommended numbers for recommended BJCP styles. Maybe I just need to find different software.

Also just stumbled on what looks like a fairly good read, on HBT of course. Which I feel like I've also found before..but didn't understand WTH I was looking at, at that time...

cmac62

Reaction score
Thanks..I've actually read through that thread before. I like a fairly recent piece of advice in there though. Pick one expert, and follow their advice. Ingesting multiple sources, to include the interweb is going to drive you crazy.

I use brewer's friend, so the math is already done for me. Where I think I'm lacking is the lack of a guide into what is recommended for a particular style. I won't, or just don't want to fall into the trap of trying to emulate a specific city's profile. All I'd really like is....maybe the recommended numbers for recommended BJCP styles. Maybe I just need to find different software.

Also just stumbled on what looks like a fairly good read, on HBT of course. Which I feel like I've also found before..but didn't understand WTH I was looking at, at that time...

I like AJ's simple idea of a tsp of both CA Cloride and one of Gypsum for a balanced beer and add more of either based on hop/malt profile of the beer. For me that makes it simple. I'm looking to brew a xmas beer based on SA's Old Fezziwig Ale and I'll use just a little more CACL that gypsum and that will help bring out the malt. :mug:

chrisbrew

Reaction score
Here's an update on my batch now that is been keg conditioning for a little over a month.

I was relieved that the rum was not as potent once I got it transferred to the keg. It has really melded together to form a great balance with the pineapple, a few weeks really did help out. I ended up going with about 1lb fresh cubed pineapple and I enjoy it but for anyone who doesn't like pineapple they wouldn't like my version. Vanilla and cinnamon are there but faint, slightly stronger as it warms.

Overall, it has been a hit with everyone that has tried it and I will be brewing it again. Thank you @j1laskey for sharing the recipe!
20201109_173215.jpg

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I threw 3oz of oak chips into a wide mouth mason jar with a cut and split vanilla bean. Covered it all to almost the rim with Zaya rum and let us soak for two weeks.

Zaya already has a fairly sweet vanilla character to it already. It wasn’t my first choice as I have another in mind that would be better, but mayhaps I’ll save that for the 2nd? batch.

At any rate, threw the chips into a hop basket, attached to a keg lid and threw it back into kegerator where it has been chilling for the past couple of days. (All the while spraying Star San on anything that moved...freekin nerve wracking...)

Non carbonated, it is already pretty impressive although after a HeavY dose of reading, I may have messed up on the water chemistry a little bit which is why it is ever so very slightly bitter. Think..hoping the rum sweetness may overpower that.

Plan is to let it sit for two weeks, then pull the basket out, then put the gas on it to carbonate. Or maybe I’ll just leave it in there as to not risk further contamination, idk.

Oh..and I sipped some of the soaked rum. It wasn’t horrible at all. I wouldn’t buy a product like it out of the bottle because the wood kind of..distracts from the main character of Zaya, but I could drink it. Might need a 2 vs 1 ice cube to mellow it a bit. But then...I love rum.The majority of my liquors are just that. I have 9 different types in my cabinet atm.