Pipe thread on garden hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
What is the thread on a garden hose? I am looking for a solder on fitting for my CFC and am wondering what size thread it is. Is it an NPT or something else? Anyone used a solder on fitting? The hose fittings to put a thread on a cut piece of hose are way expensive...$3.50 at my HD.

It is an actual "Garden Hose Thread (3/4" GHT IIRC)
Most just use the cut ends of the hose they used for the body of the CFC.
Cheers
-David

Right, but I was going to make two and sell the other cause I bought 50' of pipe and 50' of hose.

Well then you could get a sweat to 1/2" Male NPT fitting to solder on to the tubing then Female NPT to the Male & Female GHT connectors. Just make sure the Female GHT is a swival connector so you don't have to rotate the hose to thread it in.
McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

You could also reverse the pipe thread fittings to make the cheapest combo. These were just the first I grabbed as an example.

You can find these at you local big box or ace hardware.
Hope it helps.
Cheers
-David

Anything out there that would be a direct adapter? This is an expensive solution. A solder on to GHT?

If you are talking about the fitting that is where the little red arrows are, then I used some sweat fittings 1/2" to Garden Hose connector when putting mine together. Bobby used a hose clamp on his instead.

cfc.jpg

EDIT: I borrowed Bobby's pic for reference. I don't have a pic of mine handy, and it's not real pretty cause i used my old garden hose, so I'm not showing it off anyway!

Haven't heard of a 1/2" Copper pipe to garden hose before. I think the 1/2" NPT to GHT is the only thing that'll do it.

You could be right. I can't remember now if I used an adapter. I'm at work so I'll look when I get home in a couple of hours.

But now I remember that when I built the manifold for my MLT I got a GHT connector that sweats onto rigid 1/2" pipe. I KNOW that is what I got because I built it last weekend and the only adapter I used was to reduce for the hose barb fitting.

The NICE way is to use 1/2" copper sweat to 1/2" NPT male adapter then get a 1/2" female NPT to male GHT and one for female GHT. It's not going to be all that cheap. You might just want to get some cheap "hose repair" fittings over by the garden hoses. They make them in plastic and it would only cost you another pair of hose clamps.

The hose repair fittings I picked up were $3.47 a piece. I was hoping for a $1 copper sweat on piece.

Right, but I was going to make two and sell the other cause I bought 50' of pipe and 50' of hose.

I did the same thing. Instead of paying over $7 for a male and female repair connection, I bought a 10 ft length of hose at Wally World for $3.98 and just cut the ends off and used them...yes I had 9' of remaining hose, but it was cheaper to do it that way.

Side note: The remaining hose can be cut into 1 ft sections and used when staking up small trees to protect the bark from the staking wire. If you feel bad about wasting 9' of hose, donate it to your local landscaping professional to use for tree staking.

Back