Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I like to support local business, there isn't anything convenient around me for baccy and such for pipes. Just got my most recent order from P&C and am not gonna complain at all for under $30 shipped. The Moonshine Pipes XXX smells crazy good. A whiskey topped English blend, should be right up my alley.
View attachment 337988

I just recently bought that reamer too. It's a bit chincy/flimsy.

P&C still hasn't delivered on the GH&Co dark flake scented. Wonder if it got discontinued.

I just recently bought that reamer too. It's a bit chincy/flimsy.

P&C still hasn't delivered on the GH&Co dark flake scented. Wonder if it got discontinued.

I wasn't expecting much for the price. I figure if I keep up on the pipes I won't need to use it much. When I get an estate that has massive cake I take the dremel to it with a sanding wheel. Disclaimer, don't do that indoors as a cloud of black dust will come out of the bowl.

Pretty stoked, the wife just told me she ordered me the man crate pipe carving kit for valentine's day, any advice from those of you that have carved your own pipes?

Pretty stoked, the wife just told me she ordered me the man crate pipe carving kit for valentine's day, any advice from those of you that have carved your own pipes?

take your time and be patient. outline the block & stem on a sheet of paper, then draw the profile of the shape you'd like to cut.

Can you describe some of the qualities of an English blend? All I can imagine is sweet toffee flavors. I'm still trying to find something I love.

I haven't gotten really any sweet toffee out of the English blends I've tried. I've gotten along the lines of campfire, something that kinda reminds me of leather a bit, real earthy and woodsy. I'm sure more experienced smokers can get more out of it than that but that's about what I'm getting.

I haven't gotten really any sweet toffee out of the English blends I've tried. I've gotten along the lines of campfire, something that kinda reminds me of leather a bit, real earthy and woodsy. I'm sure more experienced smokers can get more out of it than that but that's about what I'm getting.

I too was struggling to describe them, but then I am not a fan. But, I think your description is spot on. Leather, campfire, dried leaves. And powdery notes like talcum in the air.

I too was struggling to describe them, but then I am not a fan. But, I think your description is spot on. Leather, campfire, dried leaves. And powdery notes like talcum in the air.

Oo.. ok, that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for then. I'm definitely craving something that more closely resembles what I smell. The seville blend I have, I picked up because it smells heavenly when my friend smokes it. Taste? Not so much. I need to make it to the shop some night that the pipe guy is there. Every time I stop, the cigar is there and he just says to smell it and see if I like it lol.

Oo.. ok, that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for then. I'm definitely craving something that more closely resembles what I smell. The seville blend I have, I picked up because it smells heavenly when my friend smokes it. Taste? Not so much. I need to make it to the shop some night that the pipe guy is there. Every time I stop, the cigar is there and he just says to smell it and see if I like it lol.

I can't just smell it to know if I'll like it. Cherry blends, to me, smell fantastic. Smoking them is not so great, imo.

It's taken a me a while but I've learned to note more about the tobacco itself. I like virginia, 50/50 blends with burley, cavendish, and some perique. Beyond that are casings.

:drunk:

What exactly are you smoking that there's a talking cigar recommending tobaccos?

:drunk:

What exactly are you smoking that there's a talking cigar recommending tobaccos?

Heh. The cigar guy, I mean. Think the owner of the shop is a pipe guy and his buddy is the cigar guy. Or other way around, I've just only met the cigar guy. Apparently pipe dude even has a "club" where people meet at his place, bring a little bit of tobacco to share and BYOB. They drink and just try different smokes all night.

Not really my kind of scene but neat to know people are into it.

Heh. The cigar guy, I mean. Think the owner of the shop is a pipe guy and his buddy is the cigar guy. Or other way around, I've just only met the cigar guy. Apparently pipe dude even has a "club" where people meet at his place, bring a little bit of tobacco to share and BYOB. They drink and just try different smokes all night.

Not really my kind of scene but neat to know people are into it.

I'd join that club.

I'd join that club.

It just sounded like too many people participating in a weird niche. Someone there would annoy the piss out of me, or they would all know each other and I'd end up sitting in the corner smoking alone anyway. Also, beer and pipe? Ehhh... only thing I've enjoyed with a pipe so far was a porter. Which is weird. I don't even like porters.

In my limited experience, the stuff that smells really good usually doesn't taste that great. I like Lane 1Q if I'm going for a nice balance between room note and flavor but I wouldn't choose stuff based off of smell. What kind of flavors are you looking for? Maybe someone here can point you in a good direction.

Yeah, dried leaves definitely. It seems like a really good fall/winter smoke to me. I think I'd prefer something a bit different for a summer smoke probably

Maybe someone here can point you in a good direction.

People have been trying. I'm not sure. I smoked cigarettes for a really long time, so my tastes are probably funked up. The strange thing is, I don't seem to want something nasty resembling a cigarette. If I like how friends smoke smells, but don't like the taste.. maybe I need to try something flavored. Like a vanilla or something.

Just trying to find that really good fit, otherwise it's not like I hate what I've tried.. just don't care to get it again.

People have been trying. I'm not sure. I smoked cigarettes for a really long time, so my tastes are probably funked up. The strange thing is, I don't seem to want something nasty resembling a cigarette. If I like how friends smoke smells, but don't like the taste.. maybe I need to try something flavored. Like a vanilla or something.

Just trying to find that really good fit, otherwise it's not like I hate what I've tried.. just don't care to get it again.

Most cigarettes are virginia and burley in differing ratios. Camel has some Turkish/Oriental mixed in with VirBur, iirc.

Thing is, even straight Virginia pipe tobacco is not near as nasty/offensive smelling as a straight virgina cigarette.

Thing is, even straight Virginia pipe tobacco is not near as nasty/offensive smelling as a straight virgina cigarette.

Interesting. It probably needs a little urea or fiberglass rolled into it to come a little closer.

Next time I swing by, I'm going to try the Tsuge that BK suggested and try one of their in house blends with vanilla or something.

Interesting. It probably needs a little urea or fiberglass rolled into it to come a little closer.

Next time I swing by, I'm going to try the Tsuge that BK suggested and try one of their in house blends with vanilla or something.

I am not absolutely certain on this, but i think cigarette tobacco endures a longer fermentation which practically obliterates any residual sugars.

Just about every straight/pure virginia tobacco I have smoke has a wonderful honeyed hay note in the flavor and burning grass note in the room.

If I were you, I would start there. Find examples of straight tobaccos and gop from there. Full/Straight/Pure Virginias are plentiful. F/S/P Burley are harder to find. Perique/Orientals are usually additives. Not sure I've ever seen those straight. Not sure they'd be smokable if they were.

The upside to tobacconist jar blends is price point. The downside is that it can be harder to figure out what they are made of. To learn leaf, processes, and blends, tins are king.

Try some Peter Stokkebye luxury twist flake. It is a pure Virginia tobacco with a caramel topping. Tastes and smells good. One of the better topped tobaccos in my opinion. I love a good English blend, but the Latakia tobacco used in them is fire cured and does resemble campfire. It's a love or hate thing with Latakia from what I can tell. The pouch of the Moonshine smells exactly like a campfire and I was expecting a lat bomb but the Virginias offered some sweetness and it was actually a very balanced smoke, the whiskey topping was subtle and tasted natural, not chemically at all.

Smokingpipes.com started their 10% off sale for Int'l Pipe Smoking Day today. I picked up a few tins, notably some Lane 1-Q which I hear so much about in this thread. I hope its as good as I imagine it to be! Happy Friday everyone.

Pipes and cigars has a pretty good deal going on right now, $99 for 5 pipes and 5 2 oz tobacco samples plus they're give an unspecified free gift with every purchase over $99. I'd probably go for it if I had the money today.

Pipes and cigars has a pretty good deal going on right now, $99 for 5 pipes and 5 2 oz tobacco samples plus they're give an unspecified free gift with every purchase over $99. I'd probably go for it if I had the money today.

Saw that.. was tempted.. just not sure I need five pipes right now. I'd be better off getting $99 of tobacco.

Saw that.. was tempted.. just not sure I need five pipes right now. I'd be better off getting $99 of tobacco.

True... I was planning on getting a new pipe soon, but decided just to spend the money on tobacco and save for a really nice pipe later. Though it might be useful to have $5 different types of pipes for a decent price like that. It'll let you find what you like plus start a collection, like so many are prone to do. As well as let you set aside certain pipes for certain tobacco.

I also went to pipes & cigars to check out that 5 pipe deal, but I decided that was a little excessive for me, so I picked up a Dr Grabow bent pipe. I have been using a cheap Missouri Meerschaum hardwood since I started pipe smoking and I figured it was time to upgrade to something a bit nicer. Eventually Ill pick up something fancy. Its supposed to be quite warm here in MN over the weekend (~45F), so you will find me on my front porch with a beer and enjoying a few bowls

I also went to pipes & cigars to check out that 5 pipe deal, but I decided that was a little excessive for me, so I picked up a Dr Grabow bent pipe. I have been using a cheap Missouri Meerschaum hardwood since I started pipe smoking and I figured it was time to upgrade to something a bit nicer. Eventually Ill pick up something fancy. Its supposed to be quite warm here in MN over the weekend (~45F), so you will find me on my front porch with a beer and enjoying a few bowls

I've been using the same pipe. It smokes well enough but the stem is pretty loose. I'd also like to get a bent stem pipe. In April when I get some money in I'll buy a really nice pipe. Probably a calabash or some sort of meerschaum.

I'm hoping to have some beer this weekend so I can do the same thing lol

Smokingpipes.com started their 10% off sale for Int'l Pipe Smoking Day today. I picked up a few tins, notably some Lane 1-Q which I hear so much about in this thread. I hope its as good as I imagine it to be! Happy Friday everyone.

I just ordered 8oz of 1-Q along with more Chatham Manor and a few others.

Since my last post I went to a bottle share shindig this evening, and when I got home had a little Tsuge Raijin and a nice New Glarus beer. Moon Man is sooo good.

20160220_000103_zpsoaklnr6a.jpg

Peterson Irish dew is my favorite tobacco so far. I joined the pipes and cigar pipe tobacco club orlf the month in search of a great tobacco and found it. That's about all I smoke.

I've been using the same pipe. It smokes well enough but the stem is pretty loose. I'd also like to get a bent stem pipe. In April when I get some money in I'll buy a really nice pipe. Probably a calabash or some sort of meerschaum.

I'm hoping to have some beer this weekend so I can do the same thing lol

I just picked up that deal from pipes and cigars. I figure I can parcel out the stuff I don't want to one of my brothers, my next batch of beer should be ready for drinking by March 1st. I'll toast the both of you with a brew and bowl once both arrive, and/or carbonate.

I just picked up that deal from pipes and cigars. I figure I can parcel out the stuff I don't want to one of my brothers, my next batch of beer should be ready for drinking by March 1st. I'll toast the both of you with a brew and bowl once both arrive, and/or carbonate.

Do me one better xP send me one of those pipes and some of that beers haha

Back