Pipe Sealant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM3MD157

Reaction score
I am brand new to kegging and I just got me setup in the mail. One of the gauges was damaged, so the company sent me a new one. I was able to get the old one off, it looks like it was some sort of adhesive that was used. What is the preferable method of sealing the pipe thread of the gauge to the regulator body? Teflon tape? If so, do I need the yellow gas tape?

Tape you have to make sure you wrap the threads in the correct direction, but it is less messy. I've used yellow gas tape very little.

With the liquid it acts as a thread lubricant, and is more likely going to get into all the small places. Yet, it can make a mess.

I've never used the Otay brand, but they make good products.

I didn't realize there was a direction with tape! Which way are you supposed to run it?

Also, I bought some fittings to put a valve in the output, the fittings screw in, but it looks like there may be a more gradual taper as it screws in further into the regulator body. Could be because it's a clean thread? The thread type is 1/4" MIP. Ideas?

DM3MD157 said:
I didn't realize there was a direction with tape! Which way are you supposed to run it?

Wrap it the same direction as your fitting screws on. You want the act of screwing the pieces together to tighten the tape. If you go the other way the tape will sometimes come off and you'll have a crap seal.

Tape should wrap in the direction of the threads (clockwise when looking at the end of the pipe). This is the same direction the threaded parts are going to tighten in. In this way the tape is held firmly on the threads and does not try to unravel as you tighten the joint.

Also, I bought some fittings to put a valve in the output, the fittings screw in, but it looks like there may be a more gradual taper as it screws in further into the regulator body. Could be because it's a clean thread? The thread type is 1/4" MIP. Ideas?

Most pipe fittings are tapered threads.

Latest posts

Back