Pint is a legal measure and not subjective.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a bartender, I can't say I'm sympathetic to the original way the situation was handled at all. A couple things: probably the waitress doesn't really do the math thing, and it WAS the special Stella Artois glass, so they probably figured it was the "standard" size, whatever that is. People get sloppy with their language, and start calling things the wrong name, hence the usage of the word pint as a generic term for anything in a glass. Also, a regular pint glass, when filled to the top with a normal-sized head of beer, is only ~13.8 ounces of beer! There are ~2.2 liquid ounces worth of foam at the top, which dissipates to nothing after a few minutes. Are we all demanding top-offs for our beers from now on?

I think you were too hostile about things, and that kind of attitude doesn't make people want to help you very much. They fixed the sign, and the girl was just doing her job. Not tipping was totally obnoxious in my opinion. Sorry to stir this up, but I just got around to reading this thread, and that really upsets me. It's unfair to take it out on the staff! :(

I'm with you, torch. more importantly, however, how long is your hog in centimeters? you preference in SRM for Beer Part uniforms? your thoughts on blair hair products? your opinion of shrubs? do you agree that wheaties should be only allowed into the party with checks and balances in place? we are covering lots of important ground here. ;)

The units of measure used by the world seem too arbitrary to me. I think as a party we need to establish a more brew friendly units of measure.

I propose that our temperature scale be based on the yeast scale. 0 degrees is lagering temperature and 100 degrees for ale pitching temperature.

We need to establish more for weights and distance.

Al

Mikey said:
GoatFarmersInternational said:
The point is that Fahrenheit uses as its scale what one might expect the normal range of ambient temperature to be in a temperate climate... So that on most days the temperature falls somewhere between the zero point and the one hundred point, compared something along the lines of minus fifteen and forty.

That's the best logic you can present? I can only suggest that you broaden your horizons a little.

There's plenty of places (including the US) where the temperature goes above and below the zero point on the F scale on a given day.

OH! Now I see how bizarre this thread is. I stopped reading halfway through, right before it veered wildly off topic. ;)

As for Fahrenheit, I can't speak to the actual range of numbers, but as for the value of a degree, there's this: one degree on the Fahrenheit scale is the smallest difference in temperature that is perceptable to the human senses. So it does make some sense.

EDIT: Now, for the rest of the subjects:

• 20cm hog
  • heat-sensitive jumpsuits that change color, with a special zipper in the back for Orpheus
  • I didn't enjoy the Blair Witch Project, it made me sick
  • I'd like ANOTHER SHRUBBERY! A little shorter, though, so you get a nice two-level effect
  • I like IPAs and Wheat beers, but I prefer the dark side

I can't believe I read through this entire thread and not once has someone said that THIS thread is the very reason why you have to mind your P's and Q's!

Pumbaa said:
I swear to god if they try to force me to go metric I'll start refering everything's weight by the stone . . .

I like the stone deal- in England, I only weigh like 9 stone, or 9 1/2 stone. KGs are ok, too. I weigh more in KG (like 60 kg) but that's ok, too. See, for women the number matters. I know you guys don't really care, but we're all about vanity.

eviltwinofjoni said:
I can't believe I read through this entire thread and not once has someone said that THIS thread is the very reason why you have to mind your P's and Q's!

I did mention it in my earlier post, but wasnt too clear on it.

Tony said:
I understand the principle of the original point. Some bar and restaurants post "Pints" on their draft bills, and think they can try to bring back some of that ole world charm, but it falls flat. I mean unless you have some bar wench lugging pints and quarts around, and marking her totals on slate with a chunk of coal, and such...well, then they are still in the 21st Century...

I had been told "Mind your P's and Q's" was a saying pub and bar owners would say to their waitress staff, reminding them to mark down on a piece of slate how many pints and quarts they sold for the night, so the owner could make his tally of the money taken in for the night. Im not 100% sure its true, but many swear by it.

Pumbaa said:
see now by P's & Q's I imediatly thought Pints and Quarts

BTW once this bar shorted me on a pint I was sooooooooo pissed. . .

How? Did they hand you an empty glass?

One time I had my beer spilt by some idiots and the bartender was hesitant to give me another for free.

Pumbaa said:
...BTW once this bar shorted me on a pint I was sooooooooo pissed. . .

laughing-smiley-014.gif
laughing-smiley-003.gif
laughing-smiley-016.gif
laughing-smiley-018.gif

Back