Pinot Noir Pyment Recipe Question/Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceInvadingMonkeys

Reaction score
Hello!

So I am graduating in slightly over a year so I wanted to prepare something delicious and interesting for it. I am starting now because I've decided to make a pyment and hopefully (fingers crossed) will be ready in slightly over a year. But, hey if it isn't, I have like 7 gallons of Edwort's Apfelwein going right now and I understand that will be amazing in slightly over a year!

Also, thanks to summersolstice for pointing me to a place where I can buy some ultimate pressed grape juice. It is exactly what I was looking for.

This is to make 5 gallons:
- ~3 gallons pinot noir grape juice
- ~6 lbs of honey
- usual yeast nutrients + energizers
- water to about 5 gallons
- wine yeast
- 4 oz. oak chips ~2 weeks before bottling

Real questions
1. Honey? I have access to a multitude of honeys but, being somewhat new to mead, I am not sure what honey would complement the pinot noir. It has a lighter body taste to it unlike most reds (reason I chose this) but usually has a light berry aroma. So I was thinking something like raspberry honey which of course I do not have access to :-\. I have access to: clover (sweet), orange blossom, white sage, mesquite, buckwheat and wildflower. I'd probably opt out of wildflower because last time I made mead with wildflower, it didn't too good even after aging and I've read mixed reports about it.

2. Yeast? I'm sort of in a qualm about yeast. I started out brewing beer and used to make mead with my mom when I was a kid so I figured I'd give this a shot (and I love it). So really any help would be amazing here. I really only have experience with Montrachet and Champagne yeast.

3. Suggestions? Really, this is a rough idea for me right now. Probably won't get implemented until early June. So I would love to soak up any knowledge you guys have about this subject. Feel free to tell me that I am off my rocker and need something better to do with my time.

I started this in mid-March. Tastes promising already. I would drop the honey to 3# each:

Pinot Noir Pyment (3 Gal)
1.50 tsp Pectic Enzyme (Primary)
3 Campden Tablets (Primary)
46 oz Alenander's Pinot Noir Grape Juice
3 lbs 8.0 oz Blackberry Honey
3 lbs 8.0 oz Blueberry Honey
12.0 oz Blackberries, Frozen
12.0 oz Blueberries, Frozen
Lalvin RC 212 (Bourgovin)
Go-Ferm, Fermaid-K, DAP

Hello!
Also, thanks to summersolstice for pointing me to a place where I can buy some ultimate pressed grape juice. It is exactly what I was looking for.
This is to make 5 gallons:
- ~3 gallons pinot noir grape juice
- ~6 lbs of honey
2. Yeast? Montrachet and Champagne yeast.

I have never made a true Pyment before so I really can not help on this.
Just a few questions, first of all can you or summersolstice share the secret of the ultimate pressed grape juice? Or would you have to force feed me massive amounts of drinks to wipe my memory. In either case please share! :tank:

Yeast style, I would go with Montrachet, in my experience it just produces a more balance final product, but that is my taste. If you like it go with it.

lol! I suspect that the reason the "ultimate" juice source is the ultimate for SpaceInvadingMonkeys is because it's a source for quality juice in his own state. Some of the most respected frozen juice and musts in the US comes from Brehm Vineyards in Richmond, CA. A lot of people have great success with Peter Brehm's products.

Brehm_pail.jpg

Thanks for the info Solstice. The Columbia Gorge area where most Washington grapes are grown are on the way to the coast for me. Wonder if I can pick it up by the barrel? Hmmm....

I'm planning a pinot noir pyment for this weekend (3/20/10) and was curious if you used the recipe you started the thread with. Any special notes? Problems? What yeast did you use? I'm thinking of sticking with the trusty ol' Lalvin D47 since I've had the best luck with that on traditional meads, but I have absolutely no experience with grape juices (other than those already fermented). Any follow up would be appreciated!

Back