Pineapple wine from fresh fruits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noblex

Reaction score
Hi, I already have a batch of pine wine from frozen concentrated juice (done following a recipe here) that has done fermenting (with Zymoferm Bayanus, a yest for champagne) and is decanting, but I'm not satisfied with it. It just taste like a super cheap white wine, too much acidic and simply i don't like it. We'll see if it will improve by aging, carb, backsweeting and stuff.

Now, while it ages, I would like to make another 5l (1.33 gal) batch from fresh fruit, but I've never made fruit wine from fresh fruit yet and i found really few information around here.
So, that's what I have:
2kg (4.4 lbs) of fresh ananas (with pinnacle and all the stuff, I think I'll get like 1.5-1-7 kg of pulp from it)
1.5kg (3.3 lbs) brown sugar
3l (0.7 gal) water
1 pack of Lallemand Nottingham Damstar ale yeast (i didn't like how that Bayanus worked.. Wanna try something lighter)

Since I didn't find really much information of pine wine from fruits instead of juice, I would like to ask you if I should modify the recipe before start.

My plans are to simply cut the pineapple in little slice, boil it in 3l of water with the sugar, put it in the bottle, and add the yeast. Maybe adding some lemon juice, but i'm not sure about it, the pineapple is already quite acidic.
I'd like to reach a final alchool grade of no more than 11° (or 10.5 even better), but I didn't find exact info of my yeast alcool tolerance so I don't know on what OG should i aim (I was thinking about a 1090, to get 11° and keep FG at 1010 to have the wine a little sweet), do you know anything?

Have a look at these:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request103.asp
After chopping, I'd put the fruit through a freeze/thaw twice. Freezing will help to break down the cell walls & will give you more juice/flavor. It will also help make the fruit softer & easier to crush. Do not boil the fruit. Boiling will set the pectins & possibly give the wine a "cooked" flavor. Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Have a look at these:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request103.asp
After chopping, I'd put the fruit through a freeze/thaw twice. Freezing will help to break down the cell walls & will give you more juice/flavor. It will also help make the fruit softer & easier to crush. Do not boil the fruit. Boiling will set the pectins & possibly give the wine a "cooked" flavor. Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Of course it helps!:mug:
Just one more question: here in Italy i'm not able to find some of the required ingredients (and I would like to order them online from foreign countries to avoid long waiting times and high shipping fees for cheap stuff):

Here we don't have Campden tablets: instead i found a product called "Tannisol" which are 10g tabs made of 9g of potassium metabisulfite and the remains 1g is tannin/Ascorbic acid (i don't know the proportion). There is not a "usage help" for fruit wines. How much should I put in?

Here we don't have acid blend: can I use the fresh juice from a lemon or a lime?

Here we don't have pectin enzyme. Can I simply avoid it? Or is it something that I can use in substitution?

Thank you again.

PS: I also found out (reading the pineapple juice wine recipe) that maybe my wine taste so odd because i used 90% pine juice and 10% water, while he recomend a 20% pine juice 80% water...

Of course it helps!:mug:
Just one more question: here in Italy i'm not able to find some of the required ingredients (and I would like to order them online from foreign countries to avoid long waiting times and high shipping fees for cheap stuff):

Here we don't have Campden tablets: instead i found a product called "Tannisol" which are 10g tabs made of 9g of potassium metabisulfite and the remains 1g is tannin/Ascorbic acid (i don't know the proportion). There is not a "usage help" for fruit wines. How much should I put in?

Here we don't have acid blend: can I use the fresh juice from a lemon or a lime?

Here we don't have pectin enzyme. Can I simply avoid it? Or is it something that I can use in substitution?

Thank you again.

PS: I also found out (reading the pineapple juice wine recipe) that maybe my wine taste so odd because i used 90% pine juice and 10% water, while he recomend a 20% pine juice 80% water...

I've never heard of "Tannisol," but it sounds a bit different from Campden, even though it contains potassium metabisulfite. You might be better off using this:
http://www.enoltech.com.au/products...icals-additives/potassium-metabisulphite.html
It's made by the same company that makes Tannisol, but it looks like it's only sold in large amounts, with the 300g size being the smallest.
Honestly, I'd rather just buy from an online shop from the UK. Seems like the shipping would be fairly reasonable, being within the EU & all. Same for the rest of the supplies.

As for the acid blend, I'm not sure why Keller says to add it. Pineapple is quite acidic & you should be fine without it. You can always add more acid later if you think it needs it. You'll likely be OK without the pectic enzyme as long as you freeze/thaw the fruit at least twice & crush it before fermentation. I've heard that you can use papaya skin as a substitute for pectic enzyme, but I've never done it; you'll need to research it if you want to try it.
Regards, GF.

Regards, GF.

Thank you, I'll take a look on it... Pineapple - papaya wine seems a funny idea :p
As for the lemon juice, I was thinking to add it just because of the thing that low ph are less likely to get infections.. What do you think about it? My water ph is at 7.5/8 ... Maybe I could use bottles water to have less nitrate/phosfate or metals in that...
Won't it be a problem to freeze/thaw the fruit more than once? This evening I'll start :eek:

Can i put the crushed pulp in the fermentor? I don't have a stirring bag or something like that... How about crushing the frozen pineapple with a potato smasher and then put all the juice and the pulp in fermentor, and then rack it after 1 week?

You can, but you will need to strain the wine when you rack it. Make sure to stir daily, punching down the pulp that comes up.

Pineapple Papaya actually sounds pretty yummy.

I started.
I got 1.6kg of pineapple pulp out of 2.5kg of pineapple (once removed skin and stuff), froze and thaw it twice and crusched it with a weight while still frozen. Then i boiled 3.5l of water with 1kg of brown shugar. I put the pulp in the fermentor with a tab of metabisulfite and half tab of multimineral integrator (i don't have yeast nutrient) and then the hot water over it.
I kept a glass of water+shugar and make the fermentor and the glass cool up. When at 30° +- i rehydratated the yeast in the glass and then i added it in the fermentor.
I'm now waiting for the fermentatione to start (at a temp or 24°) and then I'll move it in the basement (at a temp of 18°)

Someone told me that with fruit pulp in the must there is a risk of fermenting methanol. What do you think about it?

Update:
Today i racked the must into secoundary, leaving away the fruit pulp. The FG is 1040 (i started from 1090). I tasted now and it is (by now) really good and tasty, too sweet of course, but in the right way.

Last time the yeast (I used a bayanus) fermented all sugar until he got to .996, leaving a super acidic product.
This time I want to stop fermentation at 1010 or 1015.. Could I cold crash->rack it when i reach that gravity and then pasteurize?

Will it improve with age as it should if pasteurized?

Someone told me that with fruit pulp in the must there is a risk of fermenting methanol. What do you think about it?[/QUOTE]

No. Methanol production is not something you need to worry about.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Let ferment dry then backsweeten. Unless you like the flavor of boiled wine.... If you really want to pasterise it ask on the beer forum. Beer people may have a little more info for you on the subject.
Or if its a small batch, cold crash, rack and keep in fridge. Drink right away.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Curious about the brown sugar. Brown sugar suggests added molasses and molasses contains iron and some other chemicals that fructose or sucrose or glucose does not have. Is there a reason you chose to add brown sugar rather than other kinds of sweeteners (honey, for example).

Curious about the brown sugar. Brown sugar suggests added molasses and molasses contains iron and some other chemicals that fructose or sucrose or glucose does not have. Is there a reason you chose to add brown sugar rather than other kinds of sweeteners (honey, for example).

It was on sale :D:D:D:D

Back