Pineapple strong ale fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernflight2014

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, and it is in regards to my seventh five gallon batch. I've enjoyed all my beers this far, so I decided to get weird with this one. I chopped up, froze, and pitched two fresh pineapples into my primary after about two weeks fermenting. The krausen was gone at that point, but the natural sugar from the pineapples has brought on an entire new wave of fermentation and won't seem to go down. My question is. Should I be concerned about the yeast working so hard/ eating so much sugar before they've gotten to bottling? Has anyone experienced such a thing when drying hoping with fruit? I was going for a mildly under-carbed double ipa with a pineapple back bone, but now suspect a potential pineapple barleywine bomb. Which could be great? Thanks if you made it down this far.
Cheers!!

It's normal for fermentation to restart when you add fruit, especially fairly sugary fruit, like pineapple. To be cautious, what I would do is rack it off the fruit after a few days (five, maybe?), give it a few days to finish up, and then check FG for a few days in a row to make sure it's stabilized. All my bottle bombs have correlated to fruit or juice added in secondary.

Back