Pin Lock vs Ball Lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith_O

Reaction score
About ready to start kegging, so what are the differences? preferences?

one is shorter/fatter, the other is taller/skinnier. At this point, pick whatever is cheaper and build out your collection with the same kegs. Then again, I have 8 ball locks, and 3 convervted pinlocks. The coke kegs are just short enough to fit under the compressor hump in my kegerator, so I can have three kegs on at one time.

The difference is the connections for beer and gas. Whichever you pick you'll want to stick to the same flavor (or you'll have to spend more for both style of connections).
I use ball lock and haven't really had any issues. It seems that ball lock are more readily available. Plus I don't recall seeing anyone making brand new pin lock, they are all ball lock.

Cool, Thanks guys... just wanted to make sure that one wasn't a vast improvement over the other...

There's gobs of posts on here about the differences. But

Ball locks are slightly taller and smaller diameter.
Ball locks have (usually) a pressure relief valve.
Pin locks can't get the posts mixed up.
Pin locks are usually cheaper but maybe a little less common.

About ready to start kegging, so what are the differences? preferences?

Not much, other than what's already been posted. More importantly, do a hard look in your area for which ones are easier to find. Ball locks are really scarce in my neck of the woods these days. I might have to start buying pin locks in the future.

Doesn't really matter. dfess1 is right get whatever you is cheaper and you can get your hands on. I just set mine up 2 months ago and I use Pin Lock, They are normally cheaper and fit easy in a regular fridge. I had the same question and what is outlined above are the only differences, Different connectors and different dimensions they are stainless steel Beer Holders!!!!! Enjoy :mug:

Dang you guys are FAST!!!1

ive been 'about to start kegging' for the last two years now, but i keep spending what money i have on ingredients for the next batch. thinking pin lock in any case. they are easily available at $40. ball locks seem to be hard to find at $50.

Pin locks converted to ball lock. FTW

that's what I did for sheer laziness. My lines have the MFL's on the end of them, all I really had to do was screw off the connections as needed. But didn't really think about that until I had already bought the other pieces to swap the posts. I did that more so for the fact that anyone can grab a keg from the garage, and put it on tap in the house now. Assuming they remember my "blue is beer, green is gas" o-ring setup. ;)

Latest posts

Back