Pin lock to ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathomson75

Reaction score
I have a friend who is giving me a couple free kegs but they are pin lock and all my gear is ball lock. My question is can I just buy ball lock posts and screw them on or are they a different thread?

It really depends on the brand of the kegs in question. Typically if they are Firestone Spartanburg or Corco or Hoover Universal they are 9/16" thread. If you order new posts from Adventures in Homebrewing, they sell ball lock post conversion kits and all they will need is the keg brand which is stamped on the side of the keg. That way, you get exactly what you need.

Good luck and happy brewing!

I have a friend who is giving me a couple free kegs but they are pin lock and all my gear is ball lock. My question is can I just buy ball lock posts and screw them on or are they a different thread?

That's what I have in my kegging setup. The threading is the same on my ball and pin locks, and they're just the generic ones from any LHBS.

I have it both for gas and beverage lines.

One thing I do though is always use teflon tape on the threads when switching. I don't crank on them that hard, so the tape just helps to insure no leaking.

That's what the "screw on" type fittings I assumed the OP was referring to were. That's what I was talking about in my setup.
:tank:

I assumed OP was referencing the thread of the posts themselves. I used dressel brew's website on keg thread sizes to help identify my pin locks. According to that there is quite a bit of variation of post threads that are close enough that there is a danger of cross threading them.

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

I assumed OP was referencing the thread of the posts themselves. I used dressel brew's website on keg thread sizes to help identify my pin locks. According to that there is quite a bit of variation of post threads that are close enough that there is a danger of cross threading them.

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

That's what I am worried about they look close but I may have to borrow a mic from work and check

Just get some pin lock disconnects. You will probably need more disconnects anyway. If you are using MLF fittings on your hoses it does not matter which kegs are pin lock and which are ball lock.

Back