Pin Lock Kegs ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
Anyone use pin lock keg?

I made a purchase of 2 soda kegs on E-bay for the great price of $10 each. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4406439112&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT The were listed as having Ball Lock connections. Well, I got them in the mail yesterday and I'll be danged, they're PIN LOCK. :mad:

They seem to be of heavier steel than the ball lock keg and they're shorter. I don't like the fact that they don't have a pressure relief valve in the top but it ain't too hard to just push a popit in to accomplish the same thing.

What's your opinion of Pin Lock. Do I keep them or sent them back?

I have been using pin lock for years. Sometimes it is a challange getting a standard wrench around the stems to remove them for cleaning. I was recently thinking about getting a couple ball lock kegs but the additional height got me concerned if they would fit in my chest freezers as they are only 5 and 7 cubic feet.

I think it will only hold two. I use the 5 cft as a primary fermenter for my 6.5 gallon carboy. I use the 7cft which will hold at least three cornys to lager. I need to get the measurements on a ball lock to see if they offer any advantages in size.

Well, the seller did right by me and refunded my money and told me to keep the kegs. I was going to return them due to the cost of all new connection fittings and all.

Well since I got two pin lock kegs for free, I've ordered the fittings and repair parts to put them into service.

I've got 1 Firestone Challenger VI ball lock and 2 Firestone pin locks now. The steel is heavier duty on the pin locks. The lid from the ball lock fits the pin lock so if I wanted to put another $14 into each of them, I can get the pull ring pressure relief valve. For now, I'll leave them as they are.

I'm using MFL connectors on both types so that my lines will be easy to change from one to the other.

Oh and one other thing, for a wrench to remove the pin lock assemblys, I just took a 13/16 spark plug socket and notched it out (with a dremmel) at each point of the hexigon about 1/4 inch deep to allow the pins to slide up into the recesses. Works great!

Back