Pin lock keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalak

Reaction score
I came into possession of several pin-lock kegs, and as I've not kegged before have some questions.

Is there any way to install a pressure release valve like on the ball-lock kegs? That seems much more convenient for purging/reducing pressure.

I'm assuming there's no way to convert pin-locks to ball-locks, is that right?

Can I just buy a generic rebuild kit for new o-rings, or is there variation in exact model of keg?

Is PBW and star-san safe to use on these? I'm assuming yes, since they are stainless, but want to double-check...

Thaks.

I came into possession of several pin-lock kegs, and as I've not kegged before have some questions.

Is there any way to install a pressure release valve like on the ball-lock kegs? That seems much more convenient for purging/reducing pressure.

Can I just buy a generic rebuild kit for new o-rings, or is there variation in exact model of keg?

Is PBW and star-san safe to use on these? I'm assuming yes, since they are stainless, but want to double-check...

Thaks.

I use only pin locks...

You can install a purge valve, but why bother. The plastic thing to depress the poppet is a couple bucks and failing that, you can use a screwdriver.

There are pin-lock to ball-lock conversion kits, but again, why bother. IMO, you gain nothing other than the ability to use ball locks. Pin locks are generally shorter, so you might be able to save some height if you convert them to ball locks.

I've always just used the generic o-ring kits and used them and I have at least three different brands of kegs. The main variation is the dip tube and bottom of keg design. Some have a straight tube, which go in a keg which has a flat spot in the bottom for it, the others have a bent tube so that it picks up from the lowest point of the rounded keg.

Yes, PBW and Star-San work well with pin locks.

Fingernail works for me but if you're really adamant about it then you can swap them out for ball lock lids as they are interchangeable. This can get expensive if you have several kegs.

That is wrong. You can buy conversion posts that will convert pin to ball if you're adamant about it. This can also get expensive if you have several kegs.

Same o-rings for pin and ball lock kegs. The "generic" rebuilt kit is the correct choice.

Yes. Both are safe and preferred.

Welcme :D

Cool, found the parts. Don't yet know if I'll bother. Considering I got the three kegs for free (from another brewer who doesn't use pin-locks and had these sitting around), putting some money into them doesn't seem a big deal.

Just not sure why you want to "put money into them." Other than replacing the O-rings, what do they need? Just use pin lock...

Just not sure why you want to "put money into them." Other than replacing the O-rings, what do they need? Just use pin lock...

^^I'd agree with this too. I use pin lock and they work great - same thing as ball lock just slightly different dimensions. It's 6s between ball and pin.

Latest posts

Back