pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benl560

Reaction score
i was looking around at the brew store, and i saw a brewersbest pilsner kit. i was curious because i was pretty sure pilsner is a lager, so i opened it up and it has mutons dry yeast that ive used for ales. so is this just an ale that tastes like pilsner or am i way off? i dont really have the capacity to do lager except maybe the garage, but i enjoy a pils.

My first 3 batches were Brewers Best kits. Not that I’m an experienced brewer. I’m only on batch #7.
I had two ales and their pilsner. I brewed and fermented them all the same, because the directions didn’t tell me any different and in my ignorance, I didn’t know any different. Anyway, they all turned out OK, but even though they had different ingredients, they all had a similar taste. Although, I did like the Pilsner the best.

For one, I wouldn't use the Muntons for anything, personally. Get yourself some liquid lager yeast or some s-23 dry lager yeast. You can ferment with an ale yeast at low temps just as you can use higher fermenting temps with lager yeast... but you'll get off-flavors (fruitiness in my experience). If you have the capacity to lager, or at least to ferment at lager temps, I would go for it and use a lager yeast. I started lagerering about 3 months ago and you can really make some tasty brews that are really simple... even from a kit... toss in some whirlfloc or irish moss to help clear it up a bit... lagers take a bit more time but I'll tell you what, I wish I hadn't waited so long... a nice crisp, low abv beer is AWESOME.

well untill i find a cheep fridge the lowest i can go is about a stable 60 in my basement. could a lager yeast get this done well?

Use Nottingham for a clean, low temp Ale yeast that will work well. Most lager yeasts will ferment at 60 - but you'll get some flavors you might not have been expecting.

Check out some of the swamp coolers and fermentation cabinets in the DIY section. You'll see how other people have managed to drop 15 or 20 degrees off ambient temps without a fridge or anything too exotic.

Back