Pilsner turning dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northband

Reaction score
Hi - a week ago I placed my pilsner into secondary fermentation. Since doing so it's turned from a straw color to more of a darkish red - like an Irish red. Any ideas on why this happened or how to lighten it back? It's stored at around 50 degrees f.

Thanks,
Adam

If there is suspended yeast in the fermenter you will have quite a light appearance, as it falls out of suspension and the beer clears, the fermenter will appear much darker. Another thing to remember is that the more liquid you look through the darker it will appear, once in your glass it will look MUCH lighter.

If there is suspended yeast in the fermenter you will have quite a light appearance, as it falls out of suspension and the beer clears, the fermenter will appear much darker. Another thing to remember is that the more liquid you look through the darker it will appear, once in your glass it will look MUCH lighter.

What he said:mug:

Oxidization can do that but it's more likely your carboy is playing tricks on you. I have a cider in the carboy right now that's an amber colour but if I draw a sample, I can almost read through it.

Thanks everyone. Excellent help in this forum. You were right. Placing in second fermented and cold temps made it look dark. I pulled a sample and its crystal clear and golden yellow. Also testes smooth.

-Adam

There's nothing like cracking open an American pilsner like Budweiser for that clean, crisp taste of shaved testes.

Latest posts

Back