Pilsner Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
Do you use anything besides Pilsner malt when making a Pils? If so, what do you use and why?

I would not.

Well, actually, I would use some hops, water, and yeast, but that is it.

I use a touch of CaraPils because I like just a bit of added texture but aside from that it's pils malt, Saaz hops and some good yeast.

Depends...if your making an American pils than adjuncts like corn and rice are added. Almost every clone of Pilsner Urquell has a little vienna and munich in it. Some of these 'extras' can be reduced or completely eliminated with a decoction mash, but I see no problem using them.

LOL...but using that logic then Pilsner Urquell should be the easiest beer in the world to brew. Just a SMASH with Saaz.... Get the water right, WLP 800 and voila....

You seem to be missing a lot of details. For one, PU is fermented with multiple strains. WLP800 is one of those.

"...The classical fermentation procedure, which originally involved five different yeast strains in separate open wooden (and later, both wood and steel) barrels, was changed in 1993. According to Prucha, Pilsner Urquell now uses only one strain of yeast, called the H-strain, which may well date back to the original brewery."

< http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue5.3/urquell.html >

It's an interesting article btw.

- M

depends on the type of pilsner you're brewing. Generally I like dry clean german pils - 100% pils malt to about 1.045, 40-45 IBU, and be moderate with the late hopping.

There is some PU and other Pils info in this slide prestation by A.J. Delange. It was written in '97 but he still had it as 5 strains.

From the article:
MOLD HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM CELLAR WALLS
Apparently there is a lil' somethin-somethin in PU that for all intents and purposes can't be replicated.

As for other malts: If I'm not going to do a decoction; for Boh Pils I might use some light Munich (6L) and/or Carafoam...but I might not (depends on my mood and what I have on-hand). I would almost always use a small amount of acidulated malt for pH adjustment.

Back