Pilsner and Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenwrench

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but the variety and availability of good beer in my local has really taken a nosedive in the past few years. I decided to try brewing my own.

Is it possible to make beer that approaches the quality of a good pilsner or oatmeal stout? These are my two favorites.

What is the best way to get started with beer making?

Thanks.

Welcome allenwrench!

The best way to get started is reading. Reading www.howtobrew.com gives you step by step instructions and details. Tons of good info and an easy read to boot.

This forum is a great place and you'll have many days worth of reading about homebrewing from homebrewers. Somewhere there is a thread about online homebrew suppliers to use for equipment and kits. Also, check out your local brew store.

HBT has a nice database listing tried and true recipes.

Just a caution; there are tons of bad recipes and even more bad information on the net, LHBS, and sometimes in the kits themselves. It's best to check here before diving into a kit or recipe that is suspect.

Yes, You can make the beer you like the same if not better quality.
Cost wise probably not but it is pretty fun to do though and you can get creative and tweak things also.

First thing is a little knowledge goes a long way and you have found a great place for that. My recommendation would be start off with a brew kit from a local home brewer supplier (Midwest Supplies.com is the one I use since no local for 90 mi.).
Pick out a recipe kit (most suggest a brown ale) and have at it.

A must read is : How to brew by John Palmer, first edition available free on the web. or one of Papazians (sp?) books also.

Good luck and ask questions as they come up.:mug:

FWIW, a good Pilsner is one of the hardest beers to do as a homebrewer. It requires tight control of fermenation temperatures, and since it's such a clean beer, any flaws in the process are more noticable. Lagers in general are more difficult because of the need for greater control over fermenation temperatures. Read that as being - more equipment that many of us have built/bought to be able to make lagers (including Pilsners).

Oatmeal stout, on the other hand, is a great beer to start with. Much more forgiving.

the_bird said:
FWIW, a good Pilsner is one of the hardest beers to do as a homebrewer. It requires tight control of fermenation temperatures, and since it's such a clean beer, any flaws in the process are more noticable. Lagers in general are more difficult because of the need for greater control over fermenation temperatures. Read that as being - more equipment that many of us have built/bought to be able to make lagers (including Pilsners).

Oatmeal stout, on the other hand, is a great beer to start with. Much more forgiving.

Thanks for ALL the replies.

Well, pilsner does not sound like me, but the oatmeal does... so some hope.

I did a brewers best continental Pilsner for my first batch ever in Mid January, and
it is delicious! It did have the liquid Malt extract (LME), but I think the main highlight of the kit was the steeping grains that added body to it unlike some plain kits without the grain bag.
I stored the carboy under a staircase , in a closet, and it held consistently at
69 deg. throught Jan/early feb.
This may not be the better type of pilsners from all grain mashing, but for what little I did to get what I got, I'd say it's great tasting stuff with a great saaz zing
to it.
Don't be fraid to try the pilsner

Latest posts

Back