Pilsner-Amarillo brew on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimTheHick

Reaction score
I'm boiling an all Amarillo ipa with 90% German pilsner malt. Half pound bairds light carastan.

An ounce for FWH, then 2oz at 20, 1 oz at 10 and 2 oz flameout. Denny's 1450.

Can't wait to try this one. I've seen many favorable threads about all Amarillo. Any last minute advice? Dry hop quantity?

I do all Amarillo IPA's all the time it is my favorite beer I always do 1oz FWH an ounce each at 20 , 10 , 5 , and 1 min then I dry hop with 1 oz in the keg it has an almost pineapple taste to it at first then mellows out perfectly for me.

Looks good and please report. My wife loves Amarillo. When I finish my current bags of pale my I'm seriously considering switching to pilsner malt for most of my ales. I brew a lot of lagers and have a pretty good feel for what I can do with pilsner malt, from clean and crisp to rich and full beers. My ale have been decent, but my lagers are very good

5 gallon batch? Guessing yes, I'd back off the 20 minute addition to an oz. and add 1-2 oz. at dry hop when bubbling once every 15-20 seconds.

JimTheHick said:
The first wort hop gives decent bittering. I'm starting to favor that over a 60' add with some hops.

Amen, brother! Only time I don't FWH is when I'm trying a spot-on clone.

JimTheHick said:
I'm boiling an all Amarillo ipa with 90% German pilsner malt. Half pound bairds light carastan.

I have always wanted to do a pilsner based IPA. How is it? Just dryer, lighter?

Love the all Amarillo brews I have done. Running out of hops.

It could be light and dry or it could be full and rich. It all depends on how you mash it - the same as for pale malt. The best way to figure out the difference is to eat some pilsner malt and then some pale malt. The differences you taste are what the difference will be

6 gallon batch. I backed off to 1.5 for the 20 and 1.25 for the flameout.

Mashed at 146F 10', then 153F 60'

And I used my new homemade 25' wort chiller! Beaut!

kable said:

Just popped the first bottle at 19 days after bottling. I'm pretty shocked how light this beer is. Very light golden color and it needs another couple weeks conditioning.

It's like liquid Amarillo hops. Kind of weak on the mouthfeel right now but that has changed with more conditioning before. I'm hopeful and think its got good potential! Should be quite refreshing when the 80s and 90% humidity hits.

I did a mash at 153. Kind of wish I did 158 now. It finished pretty dry, at 1.010 from 1.060. I tasted some at 1.015 (hydrometer dregs) and preferred that sample with a little more residual sweetness to,the bottle I just drank.

Just popped the first bottle at 19 days after bottling. I'm pretty shocked how light this beer is. Very light golden color and it needs another couple weeks conditioning.

It's like liquid Amarillo hops. Kind of weak on the mouthfeel right now but that has changed with more conditioning before. I'm hopeful and think its got good potential! Should be quite refreshing when the 80s and 90% humidity hits.

I did a mash at 153. Kind of wish I did 158 now. It finished pretty dry, at 1.010 from 1.060. I tasted some at 1.015 (hydrometer dregs) and preferred that sample with a little more residual sweetness to,the bottle I just drank.

Hi there

Have you tried it with 158F mashing temp? If yes, how did it turn out?
And I saw you talked about 146F for 10 mins and then raising the temp. What does that exactly achieve?

Latest posts

Back