Pilsener vs Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissahickonBrew

Reaction score
I have been using BeerSmith2 with good success. I built a recipe first identifying the style as German Pilsner. All the numbers looked good, and within acceptable range. However there was never instructions about proper fermentation! So frustrated!!!!!!!

What exactly is your question?

Pilsner will use a lager yeast and be much cleaner and bitter.

Kolsch uses an ale yeast which imparts some fruitness to it via fermentation and is generally much less bitter. Eventhough the Kolsch yeast is an ale it traditionally is fermented on the cool side then psuedo lagered before serving.

I wanted to make a Pilsner, (used Pilsner 2 row german malt + Saaz Hops + Nottingham Ale Yeast WLP039) for a competition. When I presented my samples someone asked what I made, and when I said a Pilsner he said, Oh nice, you can lager?

I felt stupid and was caught off guard. I fell on the sword and revealed I was confused and explained my recipe in detail. He said what I actually brewed was more like a Kolsch!

We've been brewing from notes and recommendations from HBS experts for 4 years. I bought Beersmith a few months ago and expected the software to become my new "expert" and guide me through uncharted waters. Didn't happen in this case.

So I am asking the group, How should/could I have known? Is anyone more experienced that just a few months with Beersmith who can guide me?

Thanks all!

Hey is anyone going to Grand Rapids in June?

It sounds like you had the grain bill and hop bill perfect for a pilsner. You just used the wrong yeast. Pilsners are brewed with lager yeast. Nottingham, while versatile for many styles, will not give you the characteristics you're looking for in a pilsner. Next time you brew it, keep the same grain bill and hops. Use German Lager yeast if you can find it. For fermentation, start at 50F for 7-14 days. When you reach 1.020 or so, raise the temp to 63-65F. This is called a diacetyl rest, and helps the yeast to clean up any off flavors (diacetyl = butter taste/mouthfeel). I would then transfer to secondary or to a keg, then begin lagering. Lower the temp to the mid 30s and hold it there for 4-5 weeks. Carb and serve.

if you don't know the difference between a lager and ale.... (which many don't, just not on this forum).... you've got lots and lots of reading to do.

I'm an immediate satisfaction, give it to me now kinda guy so I feel your pain but trust me... get yourself reading ASAP and hold off on brewing. Your beer will be better.

Quick list:

Yeast
Brewing Classic Styles
Designing Great Beers
Brewing Better Beer

And Kolsch used a special yeast not Nottingham so I don't know what old boy was talking about.

I've not seen any software programs or online calculators that will actually tell you if your entire recipe is to style (i.e. all appropriate ingredients and percentages), they typically only calculate the basic specs. You still need to put your research in to know if your specific ingredients will give you the result you want. The resources that butterpants listed are good ones. You can also read the descriptions of BJCP styles here, which would have alerted you that you had the wrong yeast. When you're starting out it's not a bad idea to check your recipes against several proven ones to see if you're in line.

Latest posts

Back